Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Zaibass81
Helper I
Helper I

Header as dates formating to MM/YYY format

Hello,

i am importing table where header is a date e.g 30/09/20 is there a way to change date format in the Header to MM/YYY format?

Thanks 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
edhans
Super User
Super User

You can, but I'd caution against it, which I'll go into in a second. To do this, create a new blank query in Power Query and in the Advanced Editor (home ribbon), get rid of everything there and paste this in:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSlTSUTK0BBGGEFasTrRSEohpBCSMDBCCySCmOVzQFCyYAmIawAkLsGAqTDvEYDOwYBpEHkYYgwUzYGYCjQObERsLAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Data = _t, #"30/9/20" = _t, #"31/8/20" = _t, #"31/7/20" = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Data"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "New Date", each #date(
    Number.FromText(Text.AfterDelimiter([Attribute],"/",1))+2000,
    Number.FromText(Text.BetweenDelimiters([Attribute],"/","/",0)),
    Number.FromText(Text.BeforeDelimiter([Attribute],"/",0))
    )),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Attribute"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns", {{"New Date", type text}}, "en-US"), List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns", {{"New Date", type text}}, "en-US")[#"New Date"]), "New Date", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

If you have a lot of data, this may not work as pivoting columns works better when you aggregate.

The other reason you don't want to is you want the data to be normalized, which means your dates are in one column and your data is in another, not your data spread out across multiple date columns. Your model will be very difficult to work with if your data is in multiple columns.

If you want to see how that works, just delete the last step of my query above to leave the data in a normalized format. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Zaibass81 

edhans's solution would be helpful, please copy the code into your Advanced editor.

"i am importing table where header is a date e.g 30/09/20 is there a way to change date format in the Header to MM/YYY format?"

If date header like 30/09/20 means September in 2020 and your final result is September 2020, you could try the following codes:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSlTSUTK0BBGGEFasTrRSEohpBCSMDBCCySCmOVzQFCyYAmIawAkLsGAqTDvEYDOwYBpEHkYYgwUzYGYCjQObERsLAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Data = _t, #"30/9/20" = _t, #"31/8/20" = _t, #"31/7/20" = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Data"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "New Date", each #date(
    )),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", each Text.Combine({Number.ToText(Date.Month([New Date])),Number.ToText(Date.Year([New Date]))},"/")),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"Attribute", "New Date"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[Custom]), "Custom", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Capture2.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Zaibass81 

edhans's solution would be helpful, please copy the code into your Advanced editor.

"i am importing table where header is a date e.g 30/09/20 is there a way to change date format in the Header to MM/YYY format?"

If date header like 30/09/20 means September in 2020 and your final result is September 2020, you could try the following codes:

let
    )),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", each Text.Combine({Number.ToText(Date.Month([New Date])),Number.ToText(Date.Year([New Date]))},"/")),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"Attribute", "New Date"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[Custom]), "Custom", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Capture2.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

edhans
Super User
Super User

You can, but I'd caution against it, which I'll go into in a second. To do this, create a new blank query in Power Query and in the Advanced Editor (home ribbon), get rid of everything there and paste this in:

let
    )),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Attribute"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns", {{"New Date", type text}}, "en-US"), List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns", {{"New Date", type text}}, "en-US")[#"New Date"]), "New Date", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

If you have a lot of data, this may not work as pivoting columns works better when you aggregate.

The other reason you don't want to is you want the data to be normalized, which means your dates are in one column and your data is in another, not your data spread out across multiple date columns. Your model will be very difficult to work with if your data is in multiple columns.

If you want to see how that works, just delete the last step of my query above to leave the data in a normalized format. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors