Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FlyKick
Helper II
Helper II

Handling CSV With Different Transaction Types

Hi All,

Looking for recommendations on how to best manage importing a CSV that contains different transaction types. Here is a quick sample of how the CSV looks.

Standard Orders

Name, OrderNumber, OrderDate

Bob, 123456, 23/09/2021

Jane, 987654, 24/09/2021

Premium Orders 

Name, OrderNumber, OrderDate

Jack, 234567, 22/09/2021

Sally, 875903, 23/09/2021 

As you can see the CSV starts with an identifier for the type of transaction it then lists the headers for the CSV and then the records. I am comfortable removing the blank lines and the headers. I am not 100% sure how to go about creating a new column to hold the transaction type? 

Ideally I want to get the data set like this 

Name, OrderNumber, OrderDate, TransactionType

Bob, 123456, 23/09/2021, Standard Orders

Jane, 987654, 24/09/2021, Standard Orders

Name, OrderNumber, OrderDate, TransactionType

Jack, 234567, 22/09/2021, Premium Orders 

Sally, 875903, 23/09/2021, Premium Orders 

I can find the transaction type using 

if [Name] = "Standard Orders" then "" else "")

I tried creating a paramater and then changing it's value using the if statement above but it doesn't look like thats allowed. I then thought I might need to create a function and set a variable then put the if statement inside the function and return the value but it doesn't seem you can update variables either. 

I think I am pretty close but just need someone to point me in the right direction. Appreciate any tips or pointers. 

Cheers,

Fly Kick 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @FlyKick,

Not sure I fully understand the format of your file but paste the below into the advanced editor of a blank query and let me know if I'm on the right track.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCi5JzEtJLEpR8C9KSS0qVorViVbyS8xN1YEI+JXmJqUWQTkuiSWpYAVO+Uk6CoZGxiamZjoKRsb6Bpb6RgZGhmA5r8Q8oGZLC3MzUxOgpAmKZEBRam5maS7UMgXibPNKTM4GWQO0zRxIG6GYGJyYk1Opo2BhbmppYIzsGKDhsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(Source, "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2", "Column1.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Column1.1", type text}, {"Column1.2", type text}, {"Column1.3", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Custom", each if [Column1.2] = null then [Column1.1] else null),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"Custom"})
in
    #"Filled Down"

Regards,

Kim

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You can add a column (using the custom column dialog)that retrieves the first item in the column like this:

#"Changed Type"[Column1]{0}

where #"Changed Type" is the name of the step (or table)

Hi Hot Chilli,

Thanks for the response, unfortunately that will fill all the rows with the Standard Orders even the premium rows. I am looking for a way to fill all rows with standard order until it gets to the next transaction type header.

That's why I thought it needs a variable or parameter. Something that can be updated based on the value of the last row.

in pseudo code it would be

if [name]{[index]-1 = "Standard Orders" then set columnNameVar to "Standard Orders" else 

if [name]{[index]-1 = "Premium Orders" then set columnNameVar to "Premium Orders" else

dont update the variable name

Then I would add a conditional column based on the variable name. Not sure if this possible in Power Query though?

Might end up using a logic app to process the csv and add the records to azure table storage and then connect PBI to that. 

Hi @FlyKick,

Not sure I fully understand the format of your file but paste the below into the advanced editor of a blank query and let me know if I'm on the right track.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCi5JzEtJLEpR8C9KSS0qVorViVbyS8xN1YEI+JXmJqUWQTkuiSWpYAVO+Uk6CoZGxiamZjoKRsb6Bpb6RgZGhmA5r8Q8oGZLC3MzUxOgpAmKZEBRam5maS7UMgXibPNKTM4GWQO0zRxIG6GYGJyYk1Opo2BhbmppYIzsGKDhsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(Source, "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2", "Column1.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Column1.1", type text}, {"Column1.2", type text}, {"Column1.3", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Custom", each if [Column1.2] = null then [Column1.1] else null),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"Custom"})
in
    #"Filled Down"

Regards,

Kim

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

Thank You Kim! That is such an elegant and simple solution! I was way over complicating it! Thank you, thank you, thank you...... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors