Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP: Matching a value in one column to a value from another column (but different row)

Hi,

I'm relatively new to using Power Query, and I just can't figure out how to do what I can do with DAX in Power Query.

I'm trying to get a new column that returns True if the value in a row of one column matches with any of the rows in another column, and a False if it does not match. 

In DAX I used this function: CONTAINS(Table1,Table1[column1],Table1[column2]) and this worked fine. However, I want to be able to use that column for further transformations or conditions in the Query Editor, so I need to replicate this using Power Query, but I can't find any examples that do this. 

It should look something like this:

So if the values from either the Other_PersonID1 or the values from the Other_PersonID2 match any case in the column Person_ID, then you return "True", if there is no match, then it returns "False".

Person_IDOther_PersonID1Other_PersonID2Match
1 2True
27 True
3 20False
48 True
5 4True
69 True
7 9True
8  False
9  False

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Add custom columns

Capture8.JPG

List.Contains(#"Removed Columns"[Person_ID],[Other_PersonID1]) or List.Contains(#"Removed Columns"[Person_ID],[Other_PersonID2])

Replace #"Removed Columns" with the previous step in your case.

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Add custom columns

Capture8.JPG

List.Contains(#"Removed Columns"[Person_ID],[Other_PersonID1]) or List.Contains(#"Removed Columns"[Person_ID],[Other_PersonID2])

Replace #"Removed Columns" with the previous step in your case.

Best Regards
Maggie
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

Thank you for this quick and detailed response.

I am struggling to apply this logic to my scenario.

I've implemented the following steps so I can get the same comparison as this scenario:

Created a new custom column:
= Table.AddColumn(#"Previous Step", "TrainingID", each if [Training] = true then [OrderID] else null)

Applied your logic to an additional custom column:

= Table.AddColumn(#"PreviousStep", "Training Order", each List.Contains(#"PreviousStep"[OrderID],[TrainingID])).

I was hoping this would check if the OrderID in each row existed somewhere in the TrainingID column, but it isn't doing this.

Any idea on where I am going wrong?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much, this works perfectly!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This code will handle looking up mutliple columns in one merge.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("NYnJDQAgCAR72TcPb6UWYv9tyCEJITM7Iqgg6DVcEv2EbYNJ/6W4DcWTaUYaLkuJs+wo7HJCnDn5Pg==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Person_ID = _t, Other_PersonID1 = _t, Other_PersonID2 = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Person_ID"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", {"Value"}, #"Unpivoted Other Columns", {"Person_ID"}, "Unpivoted Other Columns", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Transform = Table.TransformColumns(#"Merged Queries",{{"Unpivoted Other Columns", each not List.IsEmpty([Value])}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Transform, {"Person_ID"}, {{"Match", each 
List.AnyTrue([#"Unpivoted Other Columns"])}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

This may be helpful.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51927925/powerquery-in-operator-in-conditional-column

Best Regards
Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors