Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rsderby68
Resolver I
Resolver I

HELP! Data source error: [Unable to combine data]

Hello All-Knowing Power BI Folks, 

I'm having an error I can't figure out and could use some help.  I am using service called IPWHOIS.IO to pull demographics data from IP numbers in my customer table.  The service uses a URL and I can add it in without issue and expand the records in Power BI desktop.  I can also publish the report to Power BI service without error (note using relative path).  However when I try to refresh the service I get the error, below.  I have tried a few different ways of adding it but always this same error.  Any idea what is going on?  I really need this data added in my table.  

=Json.Document(Web.Contents("http://ipwhois.pro/",[RelativePath = Text.From([Vimeo_Customer_IP])&"?key=XXXXXXXXXXXX"])))

rsderby68_1-1673658290716.png

ERROR: 

Data source error: [Unable to combine data] Section1/Customer_Activity/Added Custom3 references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action. Table: Customer_Activity.
Cluster URI: WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-B-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: f4cbf84e-7ad8-45db-a4e1-c44e547c9e13
Request ID: 74869f38-5d38-ed9c-0ee9-9ee74a7ecebf
Time: 2023-01-14 00:58:20Z

rsderby68_0-1673658053880.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rsderby68
Resolver I
Resolver I

I ended up fixing this by moving the query over to a DataFlow and setting it to ignore privacy settings.  From what I read, I gather there is some type of bug in Power BI service where it is not picking up the privacy settings to ignore these issues.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Can you explain how you did this or provide a link to an article that does?

rsderby68
Resolver I
Resolver I

I ended up fixing this by moving the query over to a DataFlow and setting it to ignore privacy settings.  From what I read, I gather there is some type of bug in Power BI service where it is not picking up the privacy settings to ignore these issues.  

I am having this same issue. Would you provide the instructions on how to convert a query to a dataflow or website link that provides steps. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors