Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Daviejoe
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Group by date but retain one column

Hi Power Query Experts

I need to group the W Number by the most recent Processed Time Stamp, so I'm fine grouping the W Number by MAX Processed Time Stamp, however I need to retain the Status column and this drops off once I group on Processed Time Stamp.

Any help would be great

Status ID Number W Number Status Processed Time Stamp
1 9400 370052   2020-09-08T15:00:07.8100000
2 9400 370059   2020-09-08T15:00:07.8270000
3 9400 370091   2020-09-08T15:00:07.8430000
4 9400 370099   2020-09-08T15:00:07.8570000
5 9400 370127   2020-09-08T15:00:07.8570000

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Daviejoe 

if you only think  you did it 😉 here a possible solution

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("jc1BCsAgDATAr5SctWyiIcZ39Cb+/xu1F0s9SBfC5jJsa8QUyDMwKhmgMp5jnEAQ4RHlYq1AhZ2F8YR6aCSL850Tmy59nfPO5TRdXtx2T989/TgW++P6DQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Status ID" = _t, Number = _t, #"W Number" = _t, Status = _t, #"Processed Time Stamp" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Status ID", Int64.Type}, {"Number", Int64.Type}, {"W Number", Int64.Type}, {"Status", type text}, {"Processed Time Stamp", type datetime}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"W Number"}, {{"AllRows", (tbl)=> Table.SelectRows(tbl, each [Processed Time Stamp]=List.Max(tbl[Processed Time Stamp])){0}[Status]}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Daviejoe 

if you only think  you did it 😉 here a possible solution

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("jc1BCsAgDATAr5SctWyiIcZ39Cb+/xu1F0s9SBfC5jJsa8QUyDMwKhmgMp5jnEAQ4RHlYq1AhZ2F8YR6aCSL850Tmy59nfPO5TRdXtx2T989/TgW++P6DQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Status ID" = _t, Number = _t, #"W Number" = _t, Status = _t, #"Processed Time Stamp" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Status ID", Int64.Type}, {"Number", Int64.Type}, {"W Number", Int64.Type}, {"Status", type text}, {"Processed Time Stamp", type datetime}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"W Number"}, {{"AllRows", (tbl)=> Table.SelectRows(tbl, each [Processed Time Stamp]=List.Max(tbl[Processed Time Stamp])){0}[Status]}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

I'm getting the below error

'Expression.Error: The name 'Changed Type' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly'

Hello @Daviejoe 

when I copy paste my code to a new blank query, the result is this

Jimmy801_0-1603273520967.png

you have to change my soure-step with your data source or your already created query

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Hey @Jimmy801 

I think I was half asleep when I first tried to use your code, I'd entered an incorrect column name.

All is good and it's working, thank you!

Thanks Jimmy, I'll check that out.

DJ

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Daviejoe 

But the Status column is empty? Also, you want to group by W number but all W numbers in the sample provided are different.

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Daviejoe
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hey @AlB 

I posted a snippet of the information, Status will not always be empty.  It will often contain a one or two letter code which will refer to another dimension table.  If the Status is blank then it means everything is fine.

So I will have multiple rows for the W Number but I only want to retain the latest record.

Think I've solved it 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors