Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nandor
Helper I
Helper I

Group by code modified to include an if statement

Hi everybody,

I would need some help with a grouping based on the value from a column.

I have a column [Operation] which contains the following two options:

Group - With max

Group - With sum

My table looks like this:

Article nameArticle valueOperation
Article 110Group - With max
Article 120Group - With max
Article 110Group - With max
Article 215Group - With sum
Article 225Group - With sum
Article 230Group - With sum

After grouping it should look like this:

Article nameArticle value
Article 120
Article 270

I tried to modify the formula like this:

= Table.Group(#"Reordered Columns1", {"Article name"}, {{"Article value", each if [Operation] = "Group - With sum" then List.Sum([Article value]) else List.Max([Article value]), type nullable number}})

With this formula I get always the False version, the List.Max

The result is always:

Article nameArticle value
Article 120
Article 230

The if statement is not evaluating correctly.

Thanks for helping me out.

Nandor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nandor 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WciwqyUzOSVUwVNJRMjQAEu5F+aUFCroK4ZklGQq5iRVKsTqoqoyIUkXYLCOQKlN0VcWluRiqjIhSZYxhI1hVLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Article name" = _t, #"Article value" = _t, Operation = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Article name", type text}, {"Article value", Int64.Type}, {"Operation", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Article name"}, {{"Article value", each if List.Max([Operation]) = "Group - With max" then List.Max([Article value]) else if List.Max([Operation]) = "Group - With sum" then List.Sum([Article value]) else null}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AlB
Super User
Super User

@Nandor

Sure. No actual magic  🙂

When you group by Article name, [Operation] will give you , for "Article name" = Article 1,  

{"Group - With max", "Group - With max", "Group - With max"}. So, since they are repeated values, we are just interested in getting one. So List.Max([Operation]) would do but you could also do List.Min([Operation]) or 

List.Min([Operation]){0} to get the first one.

Max when applied to text will give the last one by alphabetical order

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Thank you for your time!

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nandor 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WciwqyUzOSVUwVNJRMjQAEu5F+aUFCroK4ZklGQq5iRVKsTqoqoyIUkXYLCOQKlN0VcWluRiqjIhSZYxhI1hVLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Article name" = _t, #"Article value" = _t, Operation = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Article name", type text}, {"Article value", Int64.Type}, {"Operation", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Article name"}, {{"Article value", each if List.Max([Operation]) = "Group - With max" then List.Max([Article value]) else if List.Max([Operation]) = "Group - With sum" then List.Sum([Article value]) else null}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

SU18_powerbi_badge

Dear @AIB

Everything is working fine, I would only like to understand the logic behind the formula.

You enclosed the if condition into a List.Max function List.Max([Operation])

The values in [Operation] are text, how is this working?

You use the same max function for the other value and it is working again.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it is magic. Please help me to understand the trick.

Thank you,

Nandor

Thank you! It worked like magic.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors