Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lanecarrier
Frequent Visitor

Group By with Index and Calculated Column

Hello All,

Within Power Query I have a table grouped by item ID (in this case API_NO) and can create a nested index column.

lanecarrier_0-1674580688350.png

My goal is to add a calculated column within this step to calculate 'END_DATE' using the 'Index' and 'PRODUCTION_DAY' columns.  In short, 'PRODUCTION_DATE' is the start date  of the selected record and the end date of the previous record.

Here is my attempt at this:  

= Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows3", {"API_NO"}, {{"Count", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Index", 0, 1), type table}, {"Counts", each Table.AddColumn(_, "END_DATE", each "Counts" [PRODUCTION_DAY] {[Index] + 1}), type table}})

This creates two lists of tables.

lanecarrier_0-1674581493254.png

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Lane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @lanecarrier ,

I don't think you need Group By for this - you can just merge the table on itelf with two indexes:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bc/LDYAwDAPQXXJGip3Q3yyo+69BQoXogeuTnc91Cc3lEFBhakCVebxopuiJfUf/wawzkHzwLDWQTVG+5MLYgpE4doz6mXXb0LrCE8uDrY9AhzIXoW3ISLZv5sI4nvkRXea8AQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [API_NO = _t, PRODUCTION_DAY = _t]),
    chgTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"API_NO", Int64.Type}, {"PRODUCTION_DAY", type date}}),
    sortAPI_DAY = Table.Sort(chgTypes,{{"API_NO", Order.Ascending}, {"PRODUCTION_DAY", Order.Ascending}}),
    addIndex0 = Table.AddIndexColumn(sortAPI_DAY, "Index0", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    addIndex1 = Table.AddIndexColumn(addIndex0, "Index1", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    mergeOnSelf = Table.NestedJoin(addIndex1, {"API_NO", "Index1"}, addIndex1, {"API_NO", "Index0"}, "addIndex1", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    expandPROD_DAY = Table.ExpandTableColumn(mergeOnSelf, "addIndex1", {"PRODUCTION_DAY"}, {"PRODUCTION_DAY.1"}),
    remOthCols = Table.SelectColumns(expandPROD_DAY,{"API_NO", "PRODUCTION_DAY", "PRODUCTION_DAY.1"})
in
    remOthCols

Summary:

sortAPI_DAY = Sort original table in order of API Asc, then DAY Asc.

addIndex0 / addIndex1 = Create two indox columns, one starting from zero, the other from one.

mergeOnSelf = Merge the table on itself using [API_NO]&[Index1] = [API_NO]&[INDEX0]

expandPROD_DAY = Expand the [PRODUCTION_DAY] column from the nested table to get the next row value.

Example output:

BA_Pete_0-1674637614502.png

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @lanecarrier ,

I don't think you need Group By for this - you can just merge the table on itelf with two indexes:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bc/LDYAwDAPQXXJGip3Q3yyo+69BQoXogeuTnc91Cc3lEFBhakCVebxopuiJfUf/wawzkHzwLDWQTVG+5MLYgpE4doz6mXXb0LrCE8uDrY9AhzIXoW3ISLZv5sI4nvkRXea8AQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [API_NO = _t, PRODUCTION_DAY = _t]),
    chgTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"API_NO", Int64.Type}, {"PRODUCTION_DAY", type date}}),
    sortAPI_DAY = Table.Sort(chgTypes,{{"API_NO", Order.Ascending}, {"PRODUCTION_DAY", Order.Ascending}}),
    addIndex0 = Table.AddIndexColumn(sortAPI_DAY, "Index0", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    addIndex1 = Table.AddIndexColumn(addIndex0, "Index1", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    mergeOnSelf = Table.NestedJoin(addIndex1, {"API_NO", "Index1"}, addIndex1, {"API_NO", "Index0"}, "addIndex1", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    expandPROD_DAY = Table.ExpandTableColumn(mergeOnSelf, "addIndex1", {"PRODUCTION_DAY"}, {"PRODUCTION_DAY.1"}),
    remOthCols = Table.SelectColumns(expandPROD_DAY,{"API_NO", "PRODUCTION_DAY", "PRODUCTION_DAY.1"})
in
    remOthCols

Summary:

sortAPI_DAY = Sort original table in order of API Asc, then DAY Asc.

addIndex0 / addIndex1 = Create two indox columns, one starting from zero, the other from one.

mergeOnSelf = Merge the table on itself using [API_NO]&[Index1] = [API_NO]&[INDEX0]

expandPROD_DAY = Expand the [PRODUCTION_DAY] column from the nested table to get the next row value.

Example output:

BA_Pete_0-1674637614502.png

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Wow, i got stuck down a rabbit hole for sure there.

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors