Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BernardWilliam
Regular Visitor

Group By and Remove Zero Value Ids

Hi

I have a dataset with an id column a 2 numeric value columns and about 20 categorical columns. Each id has mutliple rows and I would like to group by the id find the ids where the sum of the each of the numeric values is zero and remove these ids from the dataset.

powerquery.png

I have gotten this far to group by the ids and I know how to find which have zero value, but is there a way to do this, remove the unwanted ids and repeat the process with "value2" within the same query? I tried to add mutliple let statements but it did not work. If I have to create multiple queries to do this what is the best approach?

Thanks,

Bernard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

perpha not the best, but one of ...

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSlTSUTJUitWJVkoCsozALJCYrjGYmQxiGsHljeHyJnBpQ4R2XVO4PFBlLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [id = _t, value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"id", type text}, {"value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"id"}, {{"sum", each List.Sum([value]), type nullable number}, {"all",each _}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Grouped Rows", each [sum] <> 0),
    #"Expanded all" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "all", {"value"}, {"value"})
in
    #"Expanded all"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

perpha not the best, but one of ...

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSlTSUTJUitWJVkoCsozALJCYrjGYmQxiGsHljeHyJnBpQ4R2XVO4PFBlLAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [id = _t, value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"id", type text}, {"value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"id"}, {{"sum", each List.Sum([value]), type nullable number}, {"all",each _}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Grouped Rows", each [sum] <> 0),
    #"Expanded all" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "all", {"value"}, {"value"})
in
    #"Expanded all"

Thank you for such a quick and helpful response. That does what I want. When you say perhaps not the best, but one way could you provide any hints on alternative ways that I could perhaps look into in more detail myself.

Thanks again,

Bernard

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BernardWilliam 

this way of expressing myself is a habit of mine, deriving from the fact that I am still in the learning phase.
Apart from this, "the best approach" is too strong an expression and in any case it would need to be contextualized, in the sense that "the best approach" could be variable according to the surrounding conditions of the problem.

however a different approach would be to use
the table.selectrows function together with others, but I don't know if it is better in some respect: clearer, faster, easier to modify, ...?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors