Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SimonTRS
Regular Visitor

Granting External Users access to Data Gateway

Hi,

There are other topics similar to this that have been answered but I would like to share our situation.

We are new to powerbi. We setup our first Data Gateway to allow Power BI Online to access our on-premise SSAS cubes. This worked straight away e.g. simon@ourdomainname.com was able to be added to Users via my email address under and new Data Gateway.

We have an external client e.g. john@externaldomainname.com who has a power BI account. I tried to simply add in his email address and this didn't work. My guess is Power BI looks in your Active Directory and finds the user via the UPN (email).

I therefore created a new domain user of OURDOMAINNAME\john. I setup a new domain suffix within our domain e.g. @externaldomainname.com and set the UPN of this new john user to john@externaldomainname.com.

I was hoping because that  UPN existed within our domain that i could add the user now via this email and it would work. Alas error:

One or more users were not found within your organization. Please remove those users and try again.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity IDbbeed082-7eac-b9d7-0626-7c9c12bb298e
Request ID88260c99-7ca2-de59-4ad2-68f5cc23bda1
Correlation ID752b0dbc-9793-3bf4-af59-a5aa49ad2918
Status code400
ecsCorrelationIdbbeed082-7eac-b9d7-0626-7c9c12bb298e
TimeTue Jun 12 2018 12:40:32 GMT+1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)
Version13.0.5557.154

Can someone explain why it cannot find this user via the email address when it does exist. I can even look this user up via powershell and see it has this UPN.

Does the UPN actually need to be from externaldomainname.com active directory, not just one created within our domain i.e. would/could we need to setup a forest trust between our domain and the external domain and bring the user across that way (which is something we'll ultimately do however we are only in the learning phase).

Thanks in advance.

Simon.
1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@SimonTRS,

Do you want to share the SSAS data source to the external user under gateway? If so, I follow the guide in this article to add a guest user for the external user, then I am able to add this external user under Users tab of the SSAS data source.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors