Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sguenther
Advocate II
Advocate II

Google Analytics client-ID or user-ID (cid/uid)

Hey guys,

does anybody know how I get user specific information from Google Analytics through the built-in GA connector?

I have my own database of users for my website and now would like to connect a few other metrics from Google Analytics to the data in my database. For that I already logged the Google Analytics cid and uid in the database through the Google Analytics API.

But now I can't find this cid in the data the connector offers me in PowerBI. Does anybody know how to do this?

Thank you!

Sebastian

3 REPLIES 3
nikjft
Regular Visitor

This is an old post, but the answer seems worth sharing.

You will need to set a unique ID as a custom dimension. If you have access to a true user ID from your CMS/app, you can use that, or you can set your own unique ID to join your data. You can retrieve the Google UID from the ga cookie values or via JS if you want to use Google's - there are pros and cons to doing that. I'd also recommend passing your gclid values into a custom dimension so you can join your data to DoubleClick ad response.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sguenther,

Google Analytics connector in desktop relys on the Google Analytics Core Reporting API. Although we attempt to release updates in accordance with any changes, the API may change in a way that affects the results of the queries we generate. Please note the Google Analytics - All API Changelogs, try to always run the latest desktop version.  

Available dimensions and metrics of Google Analytics Core Reporting API are listed in this document. In your scenario, I would suggest you check if wanted data are listed on supported dimensions and metrics. You can post a thread here to confirm if Google Analytics Core Reporting API can retrieve this kind of data firstly.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Everything I found out so far makes it seem like it is not possible to export the cid or uid via the connector (or even the api). It seems to be against Google policy to make it possible to track the actions of individual users in a way that exceeds the capabilities of their User Explorer in Google Analytics.

In case anybody found a solution, let me know. I gave up on it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors