Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jimmymitra
Advocate I
Advocate I

Google Analytics Request failed (403) Error

I am getting below error while trying to connect google analytics from Power BI , I could able to connect it before and did not have any problem , but now starting to get the below error 

GoogleAnalytics: Request failed (403): Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console:

20 REPLIES 20
alisyme

Hey folks,

This appears to be because the developer of the data source/GA connector reaches their daily query limit, as it's their API credentials being used to connect to GA accounts.

The solution would need to be either:

a) The developers of the source (even if part of Microsoft) need to get their daily query limit increased

b) PowerBI Team allow us to connect up our own API accounts so everyone has their own daily limits, not shared limits

Ali

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alisymewrote:

This appears to be because the developer of the data source/GA connector reaches their daily query limit, as it's their API credentials being used to connect to GA accounts.

I really, really, hope this is not the case. That would be a massive oversight; surely they wouldn't expect all Power BI users to flow through the same API account for all GA requests.

I think it's unfortunately the case. I tried to access the project in console that appears in the error message and it wasn't in my existing API console (meaning it's an API credential owned by someone else).

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/config/mgmt/v3/limits-quotas#additional_quota

The devs can request an increase, and I'd guess that when it was created they didn't foresee the popularity (?)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, that's unfortunate.

I'm perfectly fine with using my own API credentials if they'd give us the option. Ideally, they'll get the source for the custom connector up on GitHub. Not really sure to ping here to resolve this; in the meantime, I suppose I'll start working on that connector. If I get something working, I'll post it here.

Hi all,

I mean the issue started at the same time as the credential error maybe is related.

Power BI:

Customers who attempt to create a new query or edit their credentials for Google Analytics data sources may get an authentication error when entering their Google account information. In addition, some customers may get authentication errors when refreshing datasets that access Google Analytics data. Engineers are working on the fix to mitigate the issue.Next Update:03/15/2018 2:00 PM PST.

Best,
J.

@Jmenas those were my thoughts, too. Recently, I've been having credential and dataset refresh issues, out of the blue. Only just now did I get the (403) error for the first time, also out of the blue. My guess is also that it's related, so hopefully both issues will be fixed soon,

Until then, technical support will continue to say that power BI is 'running smoothly'..... 

Hi, is anyone else getting this issue right now? I realize this thread is from mid-March but it's the exact same issue i'm now getting.... i haven't run a single query today and i'm getting the 403 error.................... any OFFICIAL word on this?

I am severely concerned if this is due to the 3rd party API connector service not having enough bandwidth/low threshold.

I can't jeopardize my client's access to these reports because of that - deal breaker for power BI.

I don't think there'll be an official word as the Connector itself doesn't seem to be one of the official ones (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). If someone can create a new one that uses entered API info that'd be ideal

bryceicals
Frequent Visitor

First thing this morning reports are running again. Connection to GA seems fine.

No word from Microsoft.

Lets not jump on all at once and break it guys 😄

Edit: Next day it was down again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, I'm getting the same thing here.

Even clearing credentials for a brand new attempt on a clean report immedaitely gives me the 403: Daily Limit Exceeded.

I even intentionally waited over 24 hours after getting that to ensure I didn't actually hose the API and cause it myself. It must be some sort of issue on the GA side of things.

Jmenas
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi all,

I am also facing the same issue in the last days, not sure why is on specific datasets. Has anyone had an answer from Power BI support? 

Best,

J.

rwurgler

This video may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN5ch2hUS7s

The video describes a similar problem (and why it happens) between the 1:30 and 6:40 time points. It helped me to watch the whole thing, but if you're impatient the actual solution starts at the 8:45 time point.

Here's a summary:

CAUSE: By default, Power BI attempts to pull ALL data from GA...that could mean thousands or millions of records that you don't actually need, but they count against your daily quota.

SOLUTION: Use filter(s) to reduce the amount of data you’re pulling from Google Analytics to Power BI. Filter the query to only pull the date range you need.

IMPORTANT BEST PRACTICE: Use specific dates to define your desired date range in the query filter. Don't use presets like "This Month" or "Last Month" This ensures you're filtering on the datastream from the GA datacube instead of a locally cached subsample. The video explains this between 9:45 and 12:30.

Got the same issue. Not able to be fixed via that video.

What was interesting was that the 'project' is created for microsoft on behalf of us thus giving the same project ID.

Merx, same issue for me being in Sydney, Australia. bryceicals, interesting observatiob, I wonder if that is affecting it. I put in a support request referencing this thread, so hopefully they look at this feedback. I got a call today in response and they have advised that this is a known issue and the product team are working on this at the moment but that there is no ETA. I'll advise on this forum if I get any further responses.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im in Victoria, Australia, same issue here to, waited whole weekend and on Tuesday am still getting the same error message, will be following this thread carefully hoping for a quick resolution. Or possibly set me refresh to 7pm est?

I'm in Sydney too with a 7pm 'reset'.  I haven't been able to test whether I can refresh straight after the reset or not.

Also lodged a ticket and will update anything I hear back.

Edit: Received a phone call with the same details as brndnr.

Hi rwurgler,

Thanks for your reply. I can see how that would help, but I'm trying to bring in a completely new data set from Google Analytics, from a login of someone who has never used Power BI or the Google Analytics API.... and it won't even let us get past the login section of 'Get Data'. Therefore there is no way to get to the filtering stage. Aside from this, surely Power BI isn't going to make us filter every single data set as this is very inefficient.

merx
Regular Visitor

For us it is really an issue as we are located in Singapore and can't use Power BI until 4 pm and the quota gets reset.

So it is actively blocking our business.

Adding a custom API key would be a solution or simply increase quota limit for this project (which seems to be a shared project of Microsoft for all Power BI users as we get the exact same error with the same url)

brndnr
Regular Visitor

Also getting this error inconsistently, frustrating! I can see there are other questions on this error in the past year but no one had a solution. Apparently the Power BI team were not able to replicate the error either. Would like an answer on this please team.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had the same error this morning (CET) and now. On two different machines.

Frustrating as I'm working on a new blog entry about GA and Wordpress...

06-03-2018 20-59-59.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors