Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rpm1984
Regular Visitor

Google Analytics Desktop vs. Online

Ok so forgive me if this is a stupid question. When I pull in the analytics data to the web based app I get an entirely different format for the data than when I pull the data into the desktop app. Presumably I get more control over what to pull with the desktop app? However, there are many things I can only get on one or the other. For instance, one thing I get online is the "daysfromtoday" filter and I can not find that through the desktop analytics connection. I like the control of the desktop but the format that the online app used to pull in the information is great as well. Is there a way to make a report with elements from both? If not does anyone know how to get the "daysfromtoday" filter for google analytics data on the desktop app?

Thank you all in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, what you want is to create a new measure (or could be a column) in your data model for whatever table you are dealing with. Let's say you have a table like:

Page Name,Clicks,Date

Home Page,14,11/15/2015

Home Page,13,11/20/2015

Home Page,20,11/25/2015

Home Page,23,11/30/2015

Home Page,5,12/5/2015

Home Page,10,12/10/2015

Home Page,15,12/15/2015

Home Page,12,12/20/2015

Home Page,22,12/25/2015

Home Page,21,12/30/2015

Make sure Date is formated as a date time field and you could create a column in your data model:

daysfromtoday = ROUNDUP(1.*TODAY()-[Date],0)

You could then use that in a filter, slicer, etc.

I actually have a number of potentially useful formulas from my article on building dashboards in Microsoft CRM:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/building-ultimate-microsoft-crm-dashboard-under-hour-greg-deckler

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

In the Service, you are utilizing a Content Pack. Content Packs are pre-packaged data models, reports and dashboards. So, work has been done on them to include convenient measures, friendly names, etc. With the Desktop, you are essentially pulling raw data (more or less) and building your own data model, reports and dashboards. I've seen this with the Microsoft CRM Content Pack in the Service versus the data connection in the Desktop as well as a number of other content packs.

It is highly likely that "daysfromtoday" can be recreated in your model in the Desktop but you would have to tell me what "daysfromtoday" does. Is it just a measure that shows that data on a certain date was 10 days ago for example?

Latest book!:

Thank you for explaining that.

Yes "daysfromtoday" allows you to only show the data over the last 15,30,90 days or whatever. I can not find that option when I access Google analytic data through the desktop app. Currently I am selecting things like clicks or users and then the year and month of the year under the time option in analytics. Then when I make a report i select the year and month I want and it gives me the last 30 days. However, I have to manually change the month for the next report. The "daysfromtoday" option automatically gives you the data from the time frame from the day you run the report.

THank you so much for the help!

So, what you want is to create a new measure (or could be a column) in your data model for whatever table you are dealing with. Let's say you have a table like:

Page Name,Clicks,Date

Home Page,14,11/15/2015

Home Page,13,11/20/2015

Home Page,20,11/25/2015

Home Page,23,11/30/2015

Home Page,5,12/5/2015

Home Page,10,12/10/2015

Home Page,15,12/15/2015

Home Page,12,12/20/2015

Home Page,22,12/25/2015

Home Page,21,12/30/2015

Make sure Date is formated as a date time field and you could create a column in your data model:

daysfromtoday = ROUNDUP(1.*TODAY()-[Date],0)

You could then use that in a filter, slicer, etc.

I actually have a number of potentially useful formulas from my article on building dashboards in Microsoft CRM:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/building-ultimate-microsoft-crm-dashboard-under-hour-greg-deckler

Latest book!:

I am trying to implement this but I cant seem to figure out where to put the "daysfromtoday = ROUNDUP(1.*TODAY()-[Date],0)" Sorry to be a pain I am not very experienced. Thank you again for your help and time!

Well, in Desktop, go to the second icon on the left that looks like a table. Click on the table on the right that has the Date column in it. Click on "New Column" in the ribbon. You will be placed in the column formula area with a default of "Column = ". Select all of that and replace it with the "daysfromtoday = ..." formula. Hit Enter and that will give you a column called "daysfromtoday" that should show up in your right-hand columns and measures area.

Latest book!:

ok awesome thank you!

Awesome thank you very much!!!! I just wasnt thinking of it that way. So helpful!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors