Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Google API OAuth2 Web.Contents

Hi Community Members,

Been looking into this all day and have not made any real progress. For a Digital Analytics Dashboard, I would like to add data from some Google products, e.g. Google Ads, Google Search Console and Youtube Analytics. There seems to be written some about the method I am trying to deploy using the Twitter API, for instance https://www.powerpivotblog.nl/getting-data-into-power-query-with-the-twitter-search-api-how-to-hack-...

But not a lot has been written specifically for authenticating with the OAuth2 method which is the preferred method for all Google API's, using the Web.Contents function. I do not have a technical background and hence looking for a tutorial / guideline for any of these three Google products. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

All help is welcome!

7 REPLIES 7
ReportMaster
Helper V
Helper V

Hi. Since any of those connector has a native connection to PBI, I will suggest you to connect those sources through a 3rd party connector, it can help you save a lot of time and you'll be able to blend your data from those 3 sources in one report. I've tried windsor.ai, supermetrics and funnel.io. I stayed with windsor because it is much cheaper so just to let you know other options. In case you wonder, to make the connection first search for the Google Ads connector in the data source:

GOOGLE-ADS-1.jpg

After that, just grant access to your Google Ads account using your credentials, then on preview and destination page you will see a preview of your Gads fields:

GOOGLE-ADS-2.jpg

There just select the fields you need. Finally, just select PBI as your data destination and finally just copy and paste the url on PBI --> Get Data --> Web --> Paste the url. The same process must be done for the GSC and YT connectors

SELECT_DESTINATION_NEW.png

michaelbilling
Helper II
Helper II

Miguel has made some connectors that can help with YT and you can built on the OAuth infrastructure. It's not that hard if you know M and Visual Studio.

https://github.com/migueesc123/YoutubeAnalytics

If you at some point need FB/IG/LI - I made some here

https://github.com/migueesc123/YoutubeAnalytics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately no skills with Visual Studio, hence was simply looking for a way to do this in the query editor exclusively. The search continues!

@Anonymous
In Google OAuth2 authentication you can’t get a long-lived access token. A key that lives more than an hour/day/week/month An access token, which is kind of a temporary api key, lives 3600 seconds in Google authentication. Then you need to retrieve a new one.

You can only get something called a refrsh token. But this refresh token demands some features of the custom connector framework. The refresh token gives access to a nee valid access token.

In other API’s like Facebook- it is possible to get a access token that lives forever.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@michaelbilling 

There we go! Did not know that. Hence, a custom connector seems the only way to go.

We are now looking into the option of first sending this data to an Azure dataset en then using this dataset for our reporting and visualization needs. Thank you for your respons.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Please take a look at the following examples about how to connect to API in Power BI Desktop.

Get Data from Twitter API with Power Query
Power BI – Connect to your secure API

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maggie, 

Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately this info does not specifically tell me how to onboard Google Products API's using the OAuth2. Any information available about this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors