Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cittakaro
Frequent Visitor

Getting wrong data from Sharepoint List

I am trying to get data from Sharepoint list into Power BI Dekstop, but I am getting the wrong information. For example I have sharepoint list "Task" with column "Assigned To" filled with correct value, but all I get in Power BI Dekstop is value '[List]'. 

image.pngimage.png

Thanks 😄

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
morgade1

I believe that is because SharePoint references the info in the people picker field with the data in the hidden user list. To connect to the list append this /_catalogs/users/simple.aspx to the end of the site and you should see the list. I would assume that in PowerBI you should connect and do a merge of the two related lists to fill in the proper information. 

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

In your query editor, these columns should have a slightly different icon on the right hand side of the field name (normally a drop arrow).  This should let you grab the values from the 'list' and convert it into data for the row.  Even though there might be only a single value, its really down to how the data is stored.

Fixing in the query editor should give you the value your looking for.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cittakaro
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Morgade1,

you are right. There is hidden 'Users' list that I can bring in.

Thanks Ross73312,

You are right, I can see the value after I expand the icon. All I need to do now is link that ID with 'Users' list.

Thank you all, really appreciate it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In your query editor, these columns should have a slightly different icon on the right hand side of the field name (normally a drop arrow).  This should let you grab the values from the 'list' and convert it into data for the row.  Even though there might be only a single value, its really down to how the data is stored.

Fixing in the query editor should give you the value your looking for.

morgade1

I believe that is because SharePoint references the info in the people picker field with the data in the hidden user list. To connect to the list append this /_catalogs/users/simple.aspx to the end of the site and you should see the list. I would assume that in PowerBI you should connect and do a merge of the two related lists to fill in the proper information. 

morgade1

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors