Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

emillanes
Frequent Visitor

Getting "Each original name must belong to the set of all names"

After adding some Custom Columns to the querys of 25 tables, I get the error "Each original name must belong to the set of all names"

This is the stack trace from Power Query: https://1drv.ms/t/s!AozuErIacxzbhGAeY0O7DEv4vC9P?e=0X9VOX

Anyone know how to solve it?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bluedatenbrian
Advocate II
Advocate II

Reenabled a table, that I had disabled and changed it's name, and the issue gone away.

I've solved this by reverting some steps on my modifications.

I've realized that the problem was happening on the moment that the model connection was being validated.

First I've tried disabling all relationships for the tables that I modified but does not changed the problem.

One of the modifications that I made was that a I had changed the name of one of my tables and disabled it. I just enabled it again, keeping it's new name, applied, and the problem is gone. Finally I disabled it again and it was ok now.

I hope this help any other having this problem.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@emillanes 

Thanks for share your experience, this would definitely help people with same issue with recent versions. Let's hope the fix will be launched asap.

And an internal ICM is created regarding to this issue, I would keep follow this post for any new updates.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

Best Regards

bluedatenbrian
Advocate II
Advocate II

Reenabled a table, that I had disabled and changed it's name, and the issue gone away.

I've solved this by reverting some steps on my modifications.

I've realized that the problem was happening on the moment that the model connection was being validated.

First I've tried disabling all relationships for the tables that I modified but does not changed the problem.

One of the modifications that I made was that a I had changed the name of one of my tables and disabled it. I just enabled it again, keeping it's new name, applied, and the problem is gone. Finally I disabled it again and it was ok now.

I hope this help any other having this problem.

Thank you Advocate II for the lead.

The cause for me was a table name change coupled with a change in the load behavior. The solution was to identify the table that was causing the failure and to enable the load and change the name BACK to what it was. This was the tricky part.

I was able to infer which table was causing the error based on the data load status window. The error would occur when trying to load the data into the model after evaluating each query. I had a date table which I referenced as a data source for other role-playing dimensions. The date tables took the longest to validate and load. Since they were small tables and I had changed the name and load behavior, I figured that they were at least part of the issue.

One final suggestion, do not do what I did. I got lazy and cocky, made lots of changes between saves and applications of the changes. It was very hard to determine which table was the culprit. Apply each change to test them and save the file right aftewards.

Good hunting.

I had same problem.. re-enabled a table and error went away...

Problem is related to changind name from tables then changing the state of loading (enable/disable).

Power BI has an update today but this problem was not solved yet.

@bluedatenbrian - spot on for me - I tried to rename a table and change its enable/disable state at the same time and got the error.  Renaming, applying & then changing its state worked without issue.  No need to install previous version of PBI Desktop. 

Something I've found is very helpful right now is do not rename a query in Power Query if that query is loaded to the data model. Instead, let it load with whatever name it has. Then, rename it in the  Power BI Desktop side. It will push that rename back into Power Query, but won't cause this error to show up.

A fix is coming, but workarounds like this help prevent data loss. Hopefully soon.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great!

Thank you for this!

This worked perfectly for me!! Thanks for posting this work-around.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not yet.

I have oppened a support ticket as @edhans said, and I'm waiting for response from Power Bi support.

Please post back with any resolution @emillanes . I'm very interested if this is a bug introduced in the latest version, as may be suggested by @Anonymous to install last months version. 

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

As soon as the Power Bi support give me an answer, I will post the solution or anything they tell me

The solution given by support, was to going to a previous version of Power BI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I installed the previous Power BI and it helped. You may try this too:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de...

@emillanes can you please unmark that response as the solution. That is a work around. The solution will be when MS fixes this, and they are working on it. 

the workaround is a good plan for now, but you cannot stay on June 2021 forever. Hopefully a new July or early August build will have the proper fix in it. 

You have downgrade the version and it worked? or how?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I uninstalled the latest version and then downloaded the previous one.  And yes, it worked. As described here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-Bi-Desktop-Error-Message-Each-original-name-must-belon...

Yeah, it seems to work with no more errors. This means that it's a bug introduced in newer version.

Anyway, support team has more information about this error, and if they notify me about how to solve it I will share it here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors