Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mihaela
Frequent Visitor

Getting data from SharePoint Online List vs OData Feed

Hello!

We have two ways to get data from a Sharepoint List (OData Feed and SharePoint Online List) - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/40040.power-bi-two-way-to-get-data-from-....

Can anyone help on what is the difference between the two ones? When we should choose one over another?

Any comments would be highly appreciated 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mihaela

There is no obvious difference when you use the two connectors to connect to SharePoint online data source, you can find that in the Navigator of Power BI Desktop, two connectors bring almost same tables, but the table structure can be  different. If you want to connect to a specific online list, you can use  the OData URL: https://yoursharepointsite/_vti_bin/listdata.svc/ListName

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
76Special

I'm also posting in this old thread because Google made it the top result for related web searches.

I found that using the ODATA connector was the only way to enable the scheduled refresh from a Sharepoint online List. There may be other ways if i was an admin, but I'm not and as far as I can tell the Sharepoint Online List connector doesn't support scheduled refresh.
This was helpful: Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm posting in this old thread because Google made it the top result for related web searches. The main difference between the two is that using the OData feed is supposed to support query folding according to the documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/power-query-folding

I'm trying to clarify how to check whether that actually works in Power BI Desktop, as the View Native Query option is greyed out right from the Source step (i.e. without doing any transformation that might break query folding).

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mihaela

There is no obvious difference when you use the two connectors to connect to SharePoint online data source, you can find that in the Navigator of Power BI Desktop, two connectors bring almost same tables, but the table structure can be  different. If you want to connect to a specific online list, you can use  the OData URL: https://yoursharepointsite/_vti_bin/listdata.svc/ListName

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

But what about performance?

Would it be better to filter using OData than importing all data from SharePoint.Tables ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous, Did you manage to figure out any variations on performances using either of the two connectors?

Would love to hear yur thoughts 🙂

cheers

Chris

I'm also interested in reasons why one would choose to connect using odata vs. the SharePoint list link. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors