Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rbbi
Advocate II
Advocate II

Getting data from Excel Online?

hi,

Until now, when I've used Excel as a data source it's been from local files. Now, for the first time I'm trying to access Excel online - i.e. a spreadsheet in my Office 365 One Drive. This would seem to be the most natural thing to me, but my attempts and research so far suggest this is difficult if not impossible. The one link I've found has what looks like an out of date version of Excel, copying the document link to the clipboard. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links. I (and others) don't see this same option for copying a link.

btw, I'm using Office 365 Home and therefore (I think) One Drive Personal. My client has Office 365 Business and therefore One Drive Business but I don't have access to that yet. I'm not sure what difference that would make.

Am I missing something obvious here? Is the intention to block this most obvious (to me) way of sourcing data from Office 365? And thus force us towards using service like Azure SQL that wouldn't otherwise be needed?

thanks, Rod

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I have not attempted with the Home version of OneDrive, it is certainly possible to connect to OneDrive business files.  It being excel is fine.

Thanks Ross73312,

I've now been able to try Office 365 Business and yes it works just like a local spreadsheet using the instructions on the link in my post.

So I'm wondering if anyone else can confirm this is the limitation .. and that I really need Office 365 Business and it won't work with the Home version? Seems a shame to me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic, yes that works well - thanks for doing the search for this!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors