Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

drnemer
Frequent Visitor

Getting Started with Building a Rental Property Database

This is my first time using Power Bi, and I want to create a functioning Dashboard and Report for my company's managers expressing all of our rental properties.

This is part of our transition from Excel to something more robust and powerful.  Power Bi is a piece of the equation to this goal, ultimately it is about expressing this data clearly and cleanly while giving employees a tool to perform data entry and help with relocations.

I have tried to build a query table directly into Power Bi, but had faced issues with relationships and being "maxed" out in size for my tables (for some reason I do not understand why this is because I only had 230-some rows).

These are the "columns" that are in my envisioned table(s).

Project Based Owner Client Last NameClient First NameClient IDStreet AddressUnit NumberCity, State ZIPVoucher SizeContract RentMove in DateReasonable Accommodation?

Project Based OwnerStreet AddressUnit NumberCity, State ZIPBedroom SizeLead compliance? (Y/N)Heat included (Y/N)30% waiver (y/n)Is mobility Accessible? (y/n)

Vacancy

(y/n)

Voucher Type

Project Based OwnerProperty Manager NameProperty Manager EmailProperty Manager PhoneReferral (y/n)

There will also be a spot for applicants moving in.  The goal is that I will be able to express with Power BI, a geographic map of the units, tables, and charts to filter the different attributes of the units (vacancies, bedroom size, Lead compliance), and a data entry wizard that will help for editing and entering into this system.

Some assistance I would like is input on what is the best database to use ( Power BI, Excel, SQL Server, etc) for my needs? How to express the relationships between the tables (this keeps getting me stuck)?  How to make this functional and fast for employees when we are dealing with hundreds of rental units?  And very importantly, how can we make this conducive for regular data entry over time?

1 REPLY 1
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

I'm afraid this might not be the right forum for explaining such expansive concepts. May I suggest the excellent series https://www.sumproduct.com/thought/power-query-blog-series 

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors