Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting Query Folding to work with a SharePoint Online List

Hi,

I've recently started connecting to SharePoint Online Lists using Power Query and am hoping to get query folding working.

When I look under 'Sources that support folding' in Microsoft's query folding documentation, I can see that it mentions that SharePoint lists can be folded:

Prom_0-1635399936544.png

However in my testing I cannot seem to get it to work. Has anyone had any luck, or knows of any other documentation about query folding for a SharePoint Online list?

Added info:

• I'm using SharePoint Online
  • I've tried connecting using all of the standard SharePoint connectors as well as OData methods described here and here.
  • To check whether query folding is working I've been placing a single column filter on the table I get from the list and right clicking to see if 'View Native Query' is available as described here.

(note: there's another post on this question, but it's quite old, so thought I'd create a new one in the hope that someone has an answer)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As far as I know, web sources like SharePoint Online etc. could not use 'View Native Query' to check whether the folding happens directly.

The data source that can view native query must be folded, and the data source that can’t view native query is not necessarily not folded.

Share Point Online sends some ODATA requests essentially that you can try to use Fiddler to catch the requests when you connect it directly and use ODATA to connect with the same operations like remove columns which features support query folding to compare whether the requests are the same.

Query folding means that every time all the data will be taken to Power BI for processing, so the request sent out is to take all the data

For folding, such as deleting some columns, then you can observe that the request sent by Power BI only contains those columns that I need.

Hopes it could help.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As far as I know, web sources like SharePoint Online etc. could not use 'View Native Query' to check whether the folding happens directly.

The data source that can view native query must be folded, and the data source that can’t view native query is not necessarily not folded.

Share Point Online sends some ODATA requests essentially that you can try to use Fiddler to catch the requests when you connect it directly and use ODATA to connect with the same operations like remove columns which features support query folding to compare whether the requests are the same.

Query folding means that every time all the data will be taken to Power BI for processing, so the request sent out is to take all the data

For folding, such as deleting some columns, then you can observe that the request sent by Power BI only contains those columns that I need.

Hopes it could help.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please see this video.  It doesn't leverage folding, but it much faster.

Get SharePoint List Data with Power BI ... Fast - YouTube

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pat,

Thanks for that, but I was really looking for query folding. 

It's not so much the speed of the query that I'm looking for, but more the ability to have the server pick up the load for some subsequent transformations.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors