Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting Data from Previous Rows

Hi All,

Bit of a challenge, not even sure where I can possibly start with this one. I have extracted a bunch (will eventually be in the thousands) of csv files and combined them. What I need to do is get the values in Collumn 4 and 5 highlighted in yellow into their own column. For instance rows 3-13 should read 400m in a new column and then Tier-3 Maiden in the next. Then from Rows 17-28 should read 390m in that first new column and Tier-3 Maiden in the second. I was thinking I could work with the index as well as that "~" value in column 1 to somehow get this to work. I know its possible in VBA (on a single sheet) but i am not sure how to do it in BI. 

Thanks in advance for any help

Capture.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry guys I should have closed this thread. I managed to use a different data source which was much easier to deal with. Thanks for your help though

ziying35
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi, @Anonymous 

You can provide a file containing the source table with sensitive information removed, and a table of expected results. Upload it to the cloud and share the link here. That way the person offering you help can understand what results you need faster, and you can get a solution faster.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

to give you here a good solution I need to know 2 logics

- how to identify the value to be written in a new column? (logic could be text that contains a "m").... from witch this function should work

- how to identify will witch row to write? Why row 13 and not 10 or 17?

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jimmy

I was thinking you could pick up on the ~ in Column1, what ive done is move column 4 and 5 up by 1 index in a custom column. Therefore i can identify what row i need to pull from by the ~ in column 1. Then you'd write until you encountered the next ~ with some sort of if statement. 

Thanks

Hello @Anonymous 

could you post a table here, that I can work with

Thanks

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors