Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

maasool
Helper I
Helper I

Get data from web with table inside table inside table...

I'd like to get bond data from the Frankfurt Exchange web. Here is a link to the table and pic from the data I'm interested in: https://www.boerse-frankfurt.de/bond/xs2502401552-plusplus-capital-financial-s-a-r-l-11-22-26/price-...

maasool_2-1664186964196.png

If I open this link in power query I see the attached view:

maasool_0-1664186811918.png

If I expand the data column to the end, I can't reach the data in the table present in the web (like closing prices of the bond):

maasool_1-1664186924889.png

Suggestions how to get the data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @maasool - It appears that you are using Excel Power Query instead of Power BI Power Query.  Unfortunately, there is difference in the capability of the Web.Contents function.  Power BI is more capable at identifying Tables om web pages.  As I try to prepare screenshots to highlight the difference, I am finding the Power BI version much faster than Excel.  The reason is that Power BI has an additional function called Web.BrowserContents.  This feature is only avaiable in Power BI Desktop - not Excel or Power BI Dataflows.

After pasting the URL into the Power BI Web wziard, you are prompted with the following panel.

DarylLynchBzy_0-1664208838730.png

This is the Excel version:

DarylLynchBzy_1-1664208886378.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @maasool - It appears that you are using Excel Power Query instead of Power BI Power Query.  Unfortunately, there is difference in the capability of the Web.Contents function.  Power BI is more capable at identifying Tables om web pages.  As I try to prepare screenshots to highlight the difference, I am finding the Power BI version much faster than Excel.  The reason is that Power BI has an additional function called Web.BrowserContents.  This feature is only avaiable in Power BI Desktop - not Excel or Power BI Dataflows.

After pasting the URL into the Power BI Web wziard, you are prompted with the following panel.

DarylLynchBzy_0-1664208838730.png

This is the Excel version:

DarylLynchBzy_1-1664208886378.png

Thank you very much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors