Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joelcochran
Employee
Employee

Get data from web not showing table

Using the following URL:

https://beta.fec.gov/data/elections/president/2016/

There are two tables on this page, but neither shows as a data source (but Document does):

CaptureFEC.PNG

I confirmed in the HTML that they are in fact <table> elements.

There are some indications that the site may be using JavaScript to dynamicly create and load the tables, which would probably explain this behavior. Most likely, only the initial HTML response is parsed, but can we get confirmation of this? If so, that would be unfortunate (and not terribly useful) as more and more sites are architected this way.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yeah it was the Edit button sorry, wrong translation from me.

It seems that you have to find your table into the html code.

The steps are saved on the right ribbon, if the navigation step don't increment when you navigate, you can add a random step after each click (rename columns for example). Then you can back to the previous step easily. Otherwise, you can reveal the formula bar and edit them.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ivicaSD
Frequent Visitor

I have had the same problem, and I have found the solution:

https://datachant.com/2017/03/30/web-scraping-power-bi-excel-power-query/

MihirSanghvi
Regular Visitor

https://beta.fec.gov/data/elections/president/2016/

From the above URL, I have copied contents of the first table (changed table display settings to 100 results per page and copied all rows including header).

Solution

paste it in Power BI (click on Home Menu -> Enter Data). After pasting it click on Load button. After Loading table, edit query and then add following R script (click on Transform Menu -> Run R Script).

# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script
output <- dataset[1 : (nrow(dataset)/3),]
j=1
for (i in seq (from=1, to= nrow(dataset), by=3)){
output$Candidate[j]<- as.character(dataset$Candidate[i])
output$Party[j]<- as.character(dataset$Party[i])
output$TotalReceipts[j]<- as.character(dataset$TotalReceipts[i])
output$TotalDisbursements[j]<- as.character(dataset$TotalDisbursements[i])
output$CashOnHand[j]<- as.character(dataset$Candidate[i+1])
j <- j+1
}
output[output=="--"] <- "$0.00"

Hello MihirSanghvi

I tried to follow the same steps to scrape data from https://activecaptain.com/quickLists/marinaIndexUSState.php?st=WI&city=Algoma but it didn't work. would you please advise what the solution is?
Thank you

Rémi
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi,

Can you select your document, then do Modify on the bottom.

Once the editor resquest is loaded, do a left click on "Table" into the third column.

Does it work?

Do you mean the "Edit" button? (I only ask because I do not see a Modify option).

When I enter Edit mode, I see the following:

BI-1.PNG

When I click on "Table", I get a little more:

BI-2.PNG

When I click on the "Table" link for the BODY, I get more of the same:

BI-3.PNG

As you can see, there are more "Table" links, so I can keep going down this rabbit hole. I assume that I will eventually find my data, but it only works if I know the full HTML structure. The "Applied Steps" panel only lists "Source" and "Navigation" no matter how deep you click, and there is no back button, so if I choose the wrong link I basically have to start all over again.

Obviously, this effort is defeating the purpose of using the Web option. I eventually got to the data by highlighting the table in the web browser and pasting it into Excel, but I'd like to know for sure why this page isn't working as desired.

Yeah it was the Edit button sorry, wrong translation from me.

It seems that you have to find your table into the html code.

The steps are saved on the right ribbon, if the navigation step don't increment when you navigate, you can add a random step after each click (rename columns for example). Then you can back to the previous step easily. Otherwise, you can reveal the formula bar and edit them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors