Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

warrencowan
Helper I
Helper I

Get data from web URL is not downloading all rows

I have a web URL that I'm using as my source data, that has 35,246 rows of data, but PowerBI is only getting 24,998.

Tried the same query in excel with no bother! Anyone got any ideas?

Kind of puts a hole in the boat if the tool wont get all the data I'm tryign to report on. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

2 REPLIES 2
TPalmer
Employee
Employee

What type of data is the source returning? An example would be great to help investigate. If it is returning CSV, one thing you could be hitting is the difference in parsing between Excel and Power BI. You can see a similar discussion (and solution) here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/93934416-26a1-4c47-82cd-d445e82429cd/power-query-n...

Its just a standard html table really. We use doubleclick to set a web URL for a tabular report of maybe 30 columns and xx,000 rows,  and pull it via PowerBI.

We get 2 fairly randmon issues with this.

Issue 1..incomplete parse) This is an imcomplete parse of the table. ie as above...the table has apx 30k rows in it but only 24998 are parsed into powerbi. I've witnessed this with several different web queries now, and they all loose track at 24,998 rows. Not sure if its something to do with the a variable in the data in the table or not, but have not witnessed the same error when importing the same web queries to excel.

Issue 2..failure to see the table) This a new one, where the report stopped refreshing, because it couldnt find the columns names. When we investigated it in the query editor, the get data source window was goign to the same url, but only showing the document header, not the table, as had previosuly been highlighted and selected.

Is web query just to upredictable for large data sources? Seems to be very mcuh at odds with the reliability of excel in doing the same thing.

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors