cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Get data from ODS files (OpenOffice/StarOffice spreadsheet)

I tried to Get data from folder with ODS files ( OpenOffice/StarOffice spreadsheets that are easily opened by Excel). However PowerBI does not recognize this format, which frankly speaking is strange, as MS Excel can easily read these files.

Could you please advise why PowerBI does not recognize this format?

Are there any plans for PBI to recognize ODS files?

I would like to avoid step with converting ODS to excel.

ODS.png

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Get data from ODS files (OpenOffice/StarOffice spreadsheet)

Hi @KasiaK 

There is a workaround: convert ods file to excel file using online tool, then connect to excel files with Power BI.

Best Regards

Maggie 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Get data from ODS files (OpenOffice/StarOffice spreadsheet)

Hi Maggie,

Thanks, but this actually does not answer my question and to be honest I would not recommend the solution you proposed.

Sharing any company reports online bears great risk of data leak. Secondy, using this tool takes longer than saving .ods file as .xlsx in Excel. Or saving .ods file as .xls. 

I would really appreciate if anyone could share information whether there are plans for PBI to recognize .ods files in the future.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Upcoming Events

Community Summit North America – Join Online!

Join this community-driven Power Platform digital event for unbiased support and problem-solving.

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors