Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ToffeeMarkWork
Frequent Visitor

Get Data from web page using dynamic url from query

Hi -

1. My get data from web query #"releases.latest?" will return a table with 1 row and multiple columns (this query would not need to change) - 

2. One of the columns [releases.signatureFileUrl] will always contain the latest data download link

This query will return the webpage for the latest download link #Latest Download" = List.First(#"releases?latest"[releases.signatureFileUrl])

But if I try and use that = Web.Contents(#"Latest Download") I get a firewall error:

references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination

Does anyone know how to use the dynamic value to get data from the web using this query?

Thanks

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Pete, your solution didn't work immediately for me but I was able to work through the errors and appear to resolved my issue with the below code (API key redacted):

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://isd.digital.nhs.uk/trud/api/v1/keys/ deocode/items/341/releases?latest")),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromRecords({Source}),
#"Expanded releases" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Converted to Table", "releases"),
#"Expanded releases1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded releases", "releases", {"id", "name", "releaseDate", "archiveFileUrl", "archiveFileName", "archiveFileSizeBytes", "archiveFileSha256", "archiveFileLastModifiedTimestamp", "checksumFileUrl", "checksumFileName", "checksumFileSizeBytes", "checksumFileLastModifiedTimestamp", "signatureFileUrl", "signatureFileName", "signatureFileSizeBytes", "signatureFileLastModifiedTimestamp", "publicKeyFileUrl", "publicKeyFileName", "publicKeyFileSizeBytes", "publicKeyId"}, {"releases.id", "releases.name", "releases.releaseDate", "releases.archiveFileUrl", "releases.archiveFileName", "releases.archiveFileSizeBytes", "releases.archiveFileSha256", "releases.archiveFileLastModifiedTimestamp", "releases.checksumFileUrl", "releases.checksumFileName", "releases.checksumFileSizeBytes", "releases.checksumFileLastModifiedTimestamp", "releases.signatureFileUrl", "releases.signatureFileName", "releases.signatureFileSizeBytes", "releases.signatureFileLastModifiedTimestamp", "releases.publicKeyFileUrl", "releases.publicKeyFileName", "releases.publicKeyFileSizeBytes", "releases.publicKeyId"}),
#"releases archiveFileUrl" = #"Expanded releases1"[releases.archiveFileUrl],
Custom2 = Lines.ToText(#"releases archiveFileUrl"),
Custom1 = Web.Contents(Custom2)

in
Custom1

This should work ok, I then need to extract the result from a zip which I can do.  Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi Mark,

You need to put your file URL into a relative path argument so, instead of this:

Web.Contents(yourUrlParameter)

You'll need to do something like this:

Source = Web.Contents("https://theDomainOfYourUrl.com",
    [RelativePath = "/theRestOfYourUrlParameter"]),

Difficult to give an exact answer without knowing what file type you're actually trying to grab, but this RelativePath principle is the way to avoid the FormulaFirewall in this scenario.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks Pete, your solution didn't work immediately for me but I was able to work through the errors and appear to resolved my issue with the below code (API key redacted):

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://isd.digital.nhs.uk/trud/api/v1/keys/ deocode/items/341/releases?latest")),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromRecords({Source}),
#"Expanded releases" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Converted to Table", "releases"),
#"Expanded releases1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Expanded releases", "releases", {"id", "name", "releaseDate", "archiveFileUrl", "archiveFileName", "archiveFileSizeBytes", "archiveFileSha256", "archiveFileLastModifiedTimestamp", "checksumFileUrl", "checksumFileName", "checksumFileSizeBytes", "checksumFileLastModifiedTimestamp", "signatureFileUrl", "signatureFileName", "signatureFileSizeBytes", "signatureFileLastModifiedTimestamp", "publicKeyFileUrl", "publicKeyFileName", "publicKeyFileSizeBytes", "publicKeyId"}, {"releases.id", "releases.name", "releases.releaseDate", "releases.archiveFileUrl", "releases.archiveFileName", "releases.archiveFileSizeBytes", "releases.archiveFileSha256", "releases.archiveFileLastModifiedTimestamp", "releases.checksumFileUrl", "releases.checksumFileName", "releases.checksumFileSizeBytes", "releases.checksumFileLastModifiedTimestamp", "releases.signatureFileUrl", "releases.signatureFileName", "releases.signatureFileSizeBytes", "releases.signatureFileLastModifiedTimestamp", "releases.publicKeyFileUrl", "releases.publicKeyFileName", "releases.publicKeyFileSizeBytes", "releases.publicKeyId"}),
#"releases archiveFileUrl" = #"Expanded releases1"[releases.archiveFileUrl],
Custom2 = Lines.ToText(#"releases archiveFileUrl"),
Custom1 = Web.Contents(Custom2)

in
Custom1

This should work ok, I then need to extract the result from a zip which I can do.  Thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors