Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

markt
Regular Visitor

Get Data from FTP site

Has anyone used PowerBI to Get Data from an FTP site?  I basically just need to login and get a listing of files in the folders.  I have a C# program that can do this, but I doubt Power BI can call a program.

6 REPLIES 6
jmac

You could write a batch file to ftp in, grab the file and bring it to your local server where BI Desktop is running. 

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I just tried it against a public FTP site (ftp://ftp.2600.com/) and although I was able to see the folder structure and select the file, the filed was cashed locally first and loaded in my Power Query.  So my guess that refresh from the FTP site would not work.

Hi, Andre,

Could you please help me? I am trying to connect to the same ftp adress you typed, but I receive the message "Details: "Web.Contents failed to get contents from 'ftp://ftp.2600.com/' (0): "

I am connecting through web as a data source. 

BR,

Karolis

you need to specify the file, not just the ftp folder. e.g. ftp://ftp.2600.com/whatever.csv

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @osinquinvdm

I was actually trying to access the whole ftp folder but I've discovered that this feature is not still available so you can only access ftp files trough the path to one file. (like you said)

How could I access several files in a ftp in the same query? Is the only option to create individual quearies and then append them all together?

Hi, Andre,

Could you please help me? I am trying to connect to your named ftp adress, but I get this message "Details: "Web.Contents failed to get contents from 'ftp://ftp.2600.com/' (0): "

I am connecting through web as a source. 

Thanks, 

Karolis

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors