cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gateways for Azure SQL Database VM deployed from Power BI Desktop

If my datasource is an Azure SQL Server VM, and I have used Power BI Desktop to create and deploy a model to Power BI Service, when I want to refresh my data, do I need to install the new gateway to refresh my data? It doesn't make sense to me that I would since the data is stored in the cloud and not locally, but I wanted to confirm.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Gateways for Azure SQL Database VM deployed from Power BI Desktop

@desertislesql Grr. I was just going to post an edit to validate that... IAAS is considered "on-premises" So you would need a gateway. Sorry if I mis-understood the initial question. There is a slight wording difference in names. (PAAS = Azure SQL DB), (IAAS = SQL DB on Azure)

IAAS = Need a Gateway

PAAS = Do not need a Gateway

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

@desertislesql Nope, you are right. There is a chart on this page you can use for quick reference as well.

Thank you. I am glad to have that confirmed in writing so the next person looking to use  Azure SQL Server as an IAAS source will know that no gateway is required. Appreciated the quick response.

Super User
Super User

@desertislesql Grr. I was just going to post an edit to validate that... IAAS is considered "on-premises" So you would need a gateway. Sorry if I mis-understood the initial question. There is a slight wording difference in names. (PAAS = Azure SQL DB), (IAAS = SQL DB on Azure)

IAAS = Need a Gateway

PAAS = Do not need a Gateway

View solution in original post

gjohnston Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

We just migrated to a VM in Azure running SQL 2014, which I believe is IAAS and therefore we need a gateway.  Do you know of any documentation on what type of gateway and where it should be installed?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@gjohnston You probably want to install the on-premises data gateway - documentation here. While it should work on any machine in your domain, you would want to install it on the machine that you will be accessing data the most from. In that respect, you won't be making extra calls between machines for certain connection types.

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 357 members 3,683 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: