Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jason435
Helper II
Helper II

Gateway extenionDataSourceKind Power BI error

When I upload a report I receive the following error when selecting my gateway in the dataset settings:

Extension("extensionDataSourceKind":"PowerBI","extensionDataSourcePath":"PowerBI")

Cannot be added to gateway

My report has 2 datasource. An ODBC connection to a postgreysql database and a connection to a new Dataflow. I get a green checkmark for the ODBC connection through the gateway but not for my second connection.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jason435
Helper II
Helper II

Too troubleshoot, I turned off all the 'include in report refresh" in power query for the tables connected to a dataflows. Uploaded and to and check to see if refresh worked. It did. Then I turned them all back on, and everything worked. No idea...

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect thank you I will test this solution too. I found a possible work around also. My company's capacity allows to connect to a Power Platform Dataflow which contains all the data flows we created in PowerBi service. I tested an the problem was gone

jesus21282
Frequent Visitor

Still having this problem. In Desktop, disabling the dataflow-dependent queries from "Include in report refresh" won't work either. The option "Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster. These cloud data sources do not need to be configured under this gateway cluster." is also enabled and it won't work either.

Does anybody have a solution for this yet? I have tried reaching out to MS Support but so far they still can't find the issue.

Finally solved this issue, after several meetings with MS Support.

These were the steps followed:

Analysis and Resolution:
===================
---> We saw that after you updated the gateways to the latest version the datasets were not refreshing which contained the dataflows as the datasource.
---> The gateway mapping was not allowing to use the dataflows source to add and apply to refresh and was giving error
---> After investigation it was understood that it is a bug from our end and our PG team is working on it to resolve the issue
---> But as it was taking a longer time, an alternate solution was provided for mitigating the issue. Below are the steps followed to resolve the issue :

1. Go the Create Dataflow page.
  2. Select "Add new Entities"
  3. Select "Blank query"
  4. Select the "On-Premises Data Gateway" that you wanted to use for the above dataset.
  5. Now we must paste a query that was generated in the PowerBI Report in PowerBI Desktop.

5a) Open up the report in PowerBI Desktop.

5b) Go to Transform Data.

5c) Select a query from the dataflow and click on Advanced Editor

5d) Copy the Entire query

1. Paste the query and hit next
  2. Click "Configure Connection"
  3. Use Authentication Kind: "Organizational Account" and sign in as yourself.
  4. Save & close
  5. Now you can go back to the dataset settings page you should be able to map 'Extension{"extensionDataSourceKind":"PowerBI","extensionDataSourcePath":"PowerBI"}' to 'PowerBI' and hit apply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - working through this issue for my gateway. 

For step 5 - where are you pasting the query that you created and copied?

Hi @Anonymous it must be pasted in the Blank query specified in Step 3.:

1. Go the Create Dataflow page.
  2. Select "Add new Entities"
  3. Select "Blank query"  <---- Here is where you paste the query created

Let me know if it works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response @jesus21282 .  Still not clear to me.  the way I'm reading your instructions you are doing two things - 1. creating a new dataflow 2. pasting a query from a dataflow into the new dataflow.  Where I'm confused is are you suggesting that a dataflow table from the NEW dataflow be copied and pasted back into a query for that dataflow?  Or, are we to take a query from the existing broken refresh dataflow and paste the query into the NEW dataflow?

Hi @Anonymous if I remember correctly, you must take a query from the Existing broken refresh dataflow and paste the query into the NEW dataflow, then Save it and refresh it. Let me know if that works 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does not work for me.  I get the following error when I try to save the query from the dataflow that does not refresh, into a blank query of a new dataflow: "This dataflow contains linked tables, which require Premium to refresh. To enable refresh, upgrade this workspace to Premium capacity."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jesus21282 - thanks for your help.  I'm not sure which iteration of what we did together solved the problem but, I can confirm:

a. the "PowerBI" connection was added for the gateway we looked at but I still had refresh issues and

b. switching the dataflows back to the original gateway, where I was originally getting failures, now works!

Much glad about helping! 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Facing a similar problem to you. I have raised a ticket, maybe you can vote on it https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Dataflow-causing-Gateway-Configuration-Bug/idc-p/2286959#M74... 

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm necro-posting here because this thread still ranks high in search engines. If you run into this, you need to enable "Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster" in your gateway cluster settings as per:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-mashup-on-premises-cloud

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

não deu certo, ainda continuo com o problema, no meu caso estou mesclando fluxo de dados com importação direta do banco de dados e meu gateway está ativo

Erro de fonte de dados: {"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}
Cluster URI: WABI-BRAZIL-SOUTH-redirect.analysis.windows.net
ID da atividade: a8ac2674-8116-4b36-8598-58fbc8410422
Solicitar ID: 3c838076-8bd5-dbf5-a964-b85c7e657a0d
Hora: 2021-03-15 12:06:23Z

I've the same problem yet

jason435
Helper II
Helper II

Too troubleshoot, I turned off all the 'include in report refresh" in power query for the tables connected to a dataflows. Uploaded and to and check to see if refresh worked. It did. Then I turned them all back on, and everything worked. No idea...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors