Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TheoM
Helper I
Helper I

Gateway doesn't connect to Excel file

I have installed the on premises gateway and adding sql datasources works fine. When i want to connect to an Excel file (stored on a network share), i get an error: "Can't connect to mashup datasource". In the error details the following error is provided: "path must be a valid absolute path" However this does not seem to be the problem as the path is both valid as absolute. The excel file is stored on the same server as one of the sql datasources to which i am able to connect. What am i doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TheoM,

When you mentioned the " i want to connect to an Excel file (stored on a network share) ", do you mean the Excel file shared via below way?

q3.PNG

If that is a case, then you can create a file data source under the data gateway like below:

q4.PNG

By the way, please update the data gateway to the latest version which can get out of potential issues.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TheoM,

When you mentioned the " i want to connect to an Excel file (stored on a network share) ", do you mean the Excel file shared via below way?

q3.PNG

If that is a case, then you can create a file data source under the data gateway like below:

q4.PNG

By the way, please update the data gateway to the latest version which can get out of potential issues.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Problem solved. In Power BI Desktop I referred to the excel file using the assigned drive letter (g:/), gateway does not accept that. I changed the datasource in Desktop, and referred directly to the domain root (\\....) and did the same in the gateway. Gateway now seems to work fine!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors