Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateway connection issues with scheduled refreshes

So I have a gateway connecting to a server/database all within Power BI, and when that is the only connection type, I am able to schedule an automatic data refresh for whatever timeframe I want. The problem I'm having now is that I have mixed in an excel file that I am pulling from my C drive. So I have data from the server, and data from my laptop all inside of this Power BI file. The gateway connection is failing because it is trying to connect to both, the server and the excel file, but is unable to connect to the excel file. 

Is there a reason why this is happening? I tried a different solution, where I clicked "enter data" in power bi, and pasted the data from the excel file directly in, and then tried to setup the auto refresh for the data (from the server) and it works perfectly. I'd really like to know what the difference is between just "Getting data" and connecting to an excel file, vs pasting the excel file's data in, and why the first method is causing the data refresh to fail. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! 

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, while I could setup a shared folder, I'd rather not take that approach. The solution I'm trying to achieve is embeding the excel file within the PBI Workbook in some way. Is this possible/How could this be done? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the error I am getting: 

The first instance is working properly, this is the gateway connecting to the server. As the first comment mentioned, because the excel file is not on the server as well, the gateway is not able to register/understand where the file is. 

I'm working on trying to figure out how to get the excel file on the server, to test their solution. 

Thank you for your feedback, and if anyone has other thoughts, I'd appreciate it!

gatewayerror.PNG

gpoggi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @Anonymous , uhmm don´t know if I get you ok but just to confirm.

Gateway is like the bridge between the data source location and Power BI Service so when you schedule a refresh, Power BI Service connect from cloud to your data source location through your gateway service in order to find the desired data source. So this is why your auto refresh doesn't work, because when getting connect to your gateway (to your server) it doesn't find the excel file because it is in your laptop instead of your server.

Enter data is just an manual input data, so it doesn't need a gateway, Enter Data information is saved in PBIX file and saved in Power BI Service directly when it is published.

So, solutions.., there are many different solution but the simplest one could be:

if you have your excel file located in "C:\My Source\My File.xlsx" then copy this excel file and go to server, go to C: drive, create a folder "My Source" and paste the excel there. So when the gateway tries to looking for your excel it should work.

If you frequently need to update your excel and want to avoid the copy & paste solution, there are other options like using a cloud drive like OneDrive or Google drive, if you sync your cloud folder to your laptop and your server as well, you just need to update the excel in the cloud folder from your laptop and it will be automatically syncronized in your server and the report will be refreshed without any problems.

Any question, just let me know.

Regards,

Gian Carlo Poggi

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you please specify the error message you're getting?

Meanwhile, see if this article is helpful for you?

Troubleshoot PowerBI gateway

Regards,

Pradip Microsoft Certified Trainer

Pradip's YouTube Channel

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors