Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

blynn
Helper I
Helper I

Gateway connection issues for other publishers

I have a gateway setup to internal databases with my account. I have used the Manage Gateways and Set some people as Administrators. When someone besides me publishes, when they go to the Gateway, it wants to setup the connection, although the conenction is already setup. I have Allow user;s cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster also. I have to Take Over data source  and it automatically connects to the gateway. I don't want to have to setup each new report thats published. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

snip_20180809102113.pngI think the users have to be added to be allowed to use the data source too. I have not tested but it make sense. snip_20180809102436.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@blynn,

I am not very sure about your requirement. When you add other members as administrators in the gateway, other members will see all the data sources which you have added within the gateway.

When other members publish the reports to Power BI Service which use existing data sources in the gateway, they don't need to add data source again within the gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

They shouldn't have to add it, but when they expand the gateway connection, the radio button is unchecked. When they check it, there is a setup "gear" and and arrow to the right, along with a note that the connection needs to be setup. If you click it, it takes them to the gate management screen and starts a new source. I'll try to get screen shots today. I have turned in issues to MS via Azure but not sure about Power Bi.

Here are some screen shots. I noticed the data source casing is slightly different. Maybe it thinks its different a different source. If you try to create it, it tesll you there is already a sourceAfter someone publishes and checks the gatewayAfter someone publishes and checks the gatewayNote the Data source is already createNote the Data source is already createI have to Take Over to checkI have to Take Over to checkTaking OverTaking OverOnce I take over, its OKOnce I take over, its OK

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We face same problem. New gateway administrators (recently added) cannot configure dataset. This is what I see when I'm configuring gateway for dataset: 

gateway_f.jpg

but, my colleagues who were recently added as gateway administrators see it like this:

gateway_j.jpg

So my guess new admins are not processed correcly in service:

gateway_admins.jpg

Are you MS guys aware of this?

BR Filip

Let me know if that fixes your issue. 

snip_20180809102113.pngI think the users have to be added to be allowed to use the data source too. I have not tested but it make sense. snip_20180809102436.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks blynn for good advice.

This worked. Until now I was not aware of "Data Source Users" . Now when I take a look, all datasources have old gateway admins as users but not those new ones. Maybe that is what changed? After some service update, new admins are not added to datasource users by default?

Anyway, thank you.

Filip

I don't know. It would seem to me, if they are Gateways Admins, they could use any data sources. Its like MS added a nother layer of security, but if thats the case, they shouldn't be separated. If they can publish reports to the workspace and the reports use current data sources, they should get permission to data sources. Maybe there are cases where they are an admin, but they can't access Financial info, but other info. 

The easiest method would be if they are added as an admin, alteast a notification they will need to be individually given access to the data. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors