Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rizwanfa

Gateway configured in PowerBI but unreachable due to network problems

Hello,

I have installed the latest Power BI Gateway enterprise version on my desktop to test it.

Its installed successfully and was able to perform the next step of loggin into the BI website.

But at the next step to configure the gateway, it throws the below error. 

Gateway is configured correctly in PowerBI but is unreachable due to local network connectivity problems.

The error details says:

Ensure network access is functioning correctly. Firewall and proxy configurations may need to be changed.

I have already modified the config files with proxy settings.

Thanks a lot for your help.

15 REPLIES 15
Mohana_priya
Regular Visitor

Hi rizwanfa..Iam facing same error,Could u pls help me to resolve it

jodkel

The only thing that has changed since our gateway stopped working was the following Windows Updates were successfully installed on our Windows 2016 Server:

• 2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4462928)
  • Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - October 2018 (KB890830)
  • 2018-09 Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4091664)

Microsoft told us we had a problem with our firewall config.  After hours spent troubleshooting only to find no problem.  I following this topic and uninstalled and installed and low and behold it works!   Grrrr....

mkmi

Running the Power BI as administrator solved the problem for me (windows 10).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I m also getting the same error. is there any solution to nget it resolved.

I was receiving this error.  I used the Control Panel to uninstall the gateway then reinstalled the latest version.  I used my recovery key to take over the current gateway.  Now connections work again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @brownmattc,

I have tried doing that but did not helped me. I m trying to install fresh gateway on the server.

kwilliams
Regular Visitor

Another thing to check is that your Firewall Rules are applied to public, even if you are on a Domain.

rahulvairagi
Regular Visitor

Hey Rizwan / All,

I am having the same issue while configuring the enterprise gateway.

"Gateway is configured correctly in PowerBI but is unreachable due to local network connectivity problems.

The error details says:

Ensure network access is functioning correctly. Firewall and proxy configurations may need to be changed"

Did you get any specific reason..why this occurs and what could be the possible solution. If so, please specify, so it would help me to resolve my issue.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I need this information as well. I have a gateway that has worked for a long time and now I cannot connect. I tried the recommendation of installing the latest gateway media. Looking forward to an answer.

Thanks, Ben

I was getting this error (Gateway configured in PowerBI but unreachable due to network problems). I had uninstalled an old version of the enterprise gateway and installed the latest version.

What I found was that the Enterprise Gateway does not remove all the files & folders associated to the Enterprise Gateway when you an uninstall. So when I went to install it again, it wasn't as clean an install as I thought it was.

I uninstalled, deleted the below folders entirely, then reinstalled again, and the error went away.

Folders include:

C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Enterprise Gateway

C:\Program Files\Power BI Enterprise Gateway

Hope this helps.

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.

this worked for me. Thanks!

Thank you!

I was having the same problem, and deleting the folders worked for me.

rizwanfa

I have installed the gateway on another computer and it configured successfully.

So not sure what was the issue with my computer but seems like some permission issue with the user account.

But now I am stuck at next step of 'add new data source'.

This is giving error as below.
Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to TESTDB. Details: "Invalid connection credentials."Hide details

Cluster URI: https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code: 400
Error Code: DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_ImpersonationError

Any ideas?

I had the same Issue while creating a Data Source for SSAS Tab Model .Chnaging the Service Account for Analysis service to the one that I was using on the Data Source in Gateway solved the issue for me . 

Also ensure that the cresentials that you are using is an Administrator on Analysis Service instance .

Hope this Helps.

Thanks ,

Mitsu

venuM

I have the same issue and  when I looked at the logs, I found that the authentication is failed with the following error.

"An error occurred during a silent web authentication that prevented the http authentication flow from completing in a short enough time frame"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors