Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

faizanahmad
Helper I
Helper I

Gateway Instruction

Our company has setup gateway which works for most users. But there is a group which can not connect to enterprise gateway.

So, they created personal gateway. Every user had its own gateway. This morning one of the users lost its connection.

Now, he does not even get the option to connect to gateway. All options are greyed out. There is a second user who still has personal gateway setup but cannot connect to on premise gateway as it is greyed out as well. The second user was able to add data source successfully but cannot use it as gateay connection for scheduled refresh.

I have following question:

1. Is there any specific reason they cannot connect to company gateway?

2. How would this user connect to a gateway? (any gateway) 

I have attached pictures for explanation.

Any help is appreciated.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-yuezhe-msft

I was able to find a possibel solution.

I tested and it worked. I wonder as to why this information is not readily available as I have seen many questions regarding this. 

Anyways, I would like to share it here.

1. I saved an excel file with basic columns in M:// drive folder. This is our group folder is my organsoiation.

2. I copied the file path and the format should be \\STH*******\Faizan Format and not M:\Tel**\Faizan, This is easy to find. got o file and bottom right will tell show open location

3. Go to Power BI Desktop, Get Data and Folder. Put in the location in \\STH*******\Faizan Format. ( Note: Have to use Folder and not File option. File option wont work)

4. Once, entered it will open up a query editor with all files located on the folder. Pick up which file you want and edit it accordingly. One tghing to check here is Advanced query editor must have Folder.Files Option. If not something was not done correctly.

5. After edit, you can publish your files and save it desktop.(or ehrever you want)

6. Next step is schedule refresh. Now, for this to work there should be a Data Set for on premise data gateway. (We needed this solution for on premise data gateway. Personal gateway has no issues)

7. For Data set. got to Power Bi online and Manage gateway. Add data source. There use the option folder again and enter the same path we used above. For credentials I used the same login which I use to login Power BI. email and password. As, soon I did that the data set was available for gateway refresh.

8. The rest is going to the report in your workspace and clicking schedule refresh, It should show Add data source, which you just created.

That is it. I have not been able to find this solution easily accessible anywhere. Thanks for the platform so this helps everyone.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@faizanahmad,

Do you add these users as administrator of company gateway? If so, do they add all the data sources of the dataset within on-premises gateway? Please post screenshot about the data sources in Power BI Desktop and gateway for us to analyze.

In addition, for the user that can't use personal gateway, is he able to sign in personal gateway in his computer?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

Yes the people using the data gateway are added as administrators.

I was able to find the problem to them not being able to connect to company gateway. It was related to query and using the same name to call database in Add Data Source. Now, one question here is, with gateways is the connection only allowed with direct databse connection? Because in our case, if we are ocnnected to a databse directly, the gateway connection fetches the data, but as soon as a source other than a direct databse connection is required (like a csv, or excel file), it fails and we cannot use company gateway and have to switch to personal gateway.

For the user who can't use peronal gateway, he is able to access power BI with his account. He tried uninstalling and doing a re install. But he cannot re install gateway on his peronal machine. 

0x80070005 - Access is denied  is the error he gets.

@faizanahmad,

When you add other data sources(like csv,excel) in the dataset, do you add all the data sources within gateway and do you check if the connection string match between desktop and gateway?

In addition, please post the complete installtion log of personal gateway, also make sure that the user right-click the installation package and choose "Run as administrator" to start the process.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

I cannot get the personal gateway logs because the access is greyed out for the user.

Also, adding csv are done to report not to Data Souce in gateway.

there was a development over last week. Almost, every user whose personal gateway was giving problems started working except for one.

This user is the one where we instructed to uninstall personal gateway and re install it. 

I have more info on the enterprise gateway issue.

Basically what happens is we can connect to the Excel file from the desktop-built report. But once we upload to the Power BI gateway (to setup the scheduled refresh), the credentials or account used (or the main power bi service account) does not have permissions to read any mapped drive (ie: Y:\\ drive)

so, our problem here is that the scheduled refresh fails on enterprise gateway, if a file is not online but local whereas it works with personal gateway.

@faizanahmad

Are you able to access the mapped drive from the machine that installing on-premises gateway? Make sure you use same account(which you use to connect to the Excel file from the desktop-built report)  to access the drive from the gateway machine.

Regards,
Lydia

@v-yuezhe-msft

Our Gateway is installed on VM , so thats its up 24/7.

I figuered we had two options of using the shared path:

1. USe a shred network drive

2. Use a VM

One of the groups already used a shared drive before but that did not work.

Ill try to work more tests and see.

@v-yuezhe-msft

I was able to find a possibel solution.

I tested and it worked. I wonder as to why this information is not readily available as I have seen many questions regarding this. 

Anyways, I would like to share it here.

1. I saved an excel file with basic columns in M:// drive folder. This is our group folder is my organsoiation.

2. I copied the file path and the format should be \\STH*******\Faizan Format and not M:\Tel**\Faizan, This is easy to find. got o file and bottom right will tell show open location

3. Go to Power BI Desktop, Get Data and Folder. Put in the location in \\STH*******\Faizan Format. ( Note: Have to use Folder and not File option. File option wont work)

4. Once, entered it will open up a query editor with all files located on the folder. Pick up which file you want and edit it accordingly. One tghing to check here is Advanced query editor must have Folder.Files Option. If not something was not done correctly.

5. After edit, you can publish your files and save it desktop.(or ehrever you want)

6. Next step is schedule refresh. Now, for this to work there should be a Data Set for on premise data gateway. (We needed this solution for on premise data gateway. Personal gateway has no issues)

7. For Data set. got to Power Bi online and Manage gateway. Add data source. There use the option folder again and enter the same path we used above. For credentials I used the same login which I use to login Power BI. email and password. As, soon I did that the data set was available for gateway refresh.

8. The rest is going to the report in your workspace and clicking schedule refresh, It should show Add data source, which you just created.

That is it. I have not been able to find this solution easily accessible anywhere. Thanks for the platform so this helps everyone.

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors