Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Simon_29
Helper II
Helper II

Function for finding a letter in a number and then changing it to a certain value

Hello,

I have a table like this with the Order Number column.1. This column contains numbers that sometimes contain the letters - a, b, c, d, e, f, g .... I would need to find these letters and exchange them for numbers: a = 1 b = 2 c = 3 ... I can find and change one value by right-clicking on the column header and selecting "Replace Values", but I would need a code to find and change multiple letters at once. For example, in the picture below we see the number: 310638736GAO7, where I need to change the letters G, A, 0 after the numbers - 7, 1, 10.

bug.png

Can anyone advise me? I can't solve it. Thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here is a custom function that does that.  Create a blank query, open Advanced Editor and replace the text there with the code below.  In your original query, you can then go to the Add Column tab, invoke custom function and choose this function and choose your OrderNumber column as the input.

// fnReplaceLetters
(inputtext as text) =>
let 
Result = Text.Combine(List.ReplaceMatchingItems(Text.ToList(inputtext), List.Zip({{"A".."Z"}, List.Transform({1..26}, each Number.ToText(_))})), "")
in 
Result

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here is a custom function that does that.  Create a blank query, open Advanced Editor and replace the text there with the code below.  In your original query, you can then go to the Add Column tab, invoke custom function and choose this function and choose your OrderNumber column as the input.

// fnReplaceLetters
(inputtext as text) =>
let 
Result = Text.Combine(List.ReplaceMatchingItems(Text.ToList(inputtext), List.Zip({{"A".."Z"}, List.Transform({1..26}, each Number.ToText(_))})), "")
in 
Result

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thank you very much. It worked! 🙂 

Gabriel_Walkman
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Before addressing your issue, I'd like to point out that with your system, the converted order numbers can cause issues:

Letter K = 11
Letters AA = 11

You see the problem?

right now I realized that I would not have such an example of having two identical letters next to each other, so it would be enough if one letter finds and changes it.

It was just an example. The problem does not require identical letters. Again, just an example:

L = 12

AB = 12

Hi,
yes yes, I understand what would probably happen but then how can it be done? I can't believe that no one has tried such a thing yet 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors