Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ericleigh007
Helper II
Helper II

Full documentation and example for OData.Feed please

The OData.Feed documentation is lacking.

There is no full description of the parameters.   No indication is given, for instance, on how to form a query string?  Is that just a normal OData query string, like "$filter=field eq value"?   Or something else?   

I also note that there could be, because i saw it in one sample on a forum, a "rowlimit" element in the options parameter (whose parameter description is lacking).   

Endlessly trying combinations of what I think the exact syntax "should" or "could" be is very annoying and time-consuming.

Can we get a fully documented version, please, and include a sample or two, since the function is so complex?

-thanks in advance
-e

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ericleigh007,

You can go through this article to know available OData query string options.

On Power BI side, to get the data use Odata feed data source, for example Dynamics CRM, you can take a look at this article: Prefilter data for Power BI with OData URLs. The entered URL should follow the syntax of above OData URI.

Maybe you are also interested in Filter a report with a URL query string parameter.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I asked for an update to the doucmentation so that I and others would know how to use the OData.Feed command.  

As such, only the "prefilter data for powerbi" may be responsive.  I'll try that, but I have already done specific tests with OData.Feed, and comparing that with the same query in the browser, I find that OData.Feed works differently.

But I will log a speicfic problem report on that.   

The original request to FIX the documentation so we know how to use the function, NOT tell us how OData is supposed to work.

-thanks

-e

You can find documentation about OData.Feed (and all other M language functions) in MSDN. Here's the page for OData.Feed: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/mt260868.aspx 

Note that you can also find in-product documentation by just typing =OData.Feed (or any other function) in the Query Editor formula bar and hitting enter.

Thanks,
M.

I appreciate the fact that PowerBI includes the docs.  That was unknown to me, but then again, the information is identical to the "lacking" documenation on MSDN.

I had found the web page and I was indicating it could use some work.

The link included in your answer is not valid, as it doesn't lead the documentation page I already had found.  Here's the one I had located and was commenting on:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt260868.aspx

This page contains a somehwat usable description of the fields in the record but includes no examples.  Would it be difficultt to get someone to tweak the docs to include exampes, as just about every other PQFL page has?  It liternally looks like the team ran out of budget and just stopped writing usable documenation. The record elements are not even in a table as in other documentation pages for PQFL functions.

Specific information it takes for someone to understand the usage of OData.Feed is left out.

Look, for example at the page for XML.Document:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt260907.aspx

There, we have complete descriptions of the usage, and we have examples.   Developers can use good examples to start from a known good place when customizing usage of a function.

One specific question would be (stating what I asked before) would be to have an explanation of and an example of the query element of the record.  I've tried extracting a valid OData query URL portion, like "$top=2", and including that in several forms, and nothing seems to work differently.

If the query string cannot include top=n, then what can it contain?

You see how examples would help allow developers to understand the documentation.

-thanks

-e

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors