Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kylon_19
Frequent Visitor

From Folder Connector Converting Some data to Null

Hi All, 

I am trying to join a series of CSVs that all follow the same structure and have the same headings into a data model using power query (get data > folder method).

It is pulling data from about 40 CSVs. The CSVs contain a number of binary demographic columns about the survey respondents (nothing personally identifiable but more like "My primary focus a work is typing" - as an example). It appears that 5 of those binary columns are being pulled into the data model as NULL. It appears to be happening on a CSV-by-CSV basis and it's all or nothing for the issue. So either all the data in the 5 columns for a CSV are coming in as NULL or they are coming in normal. 

Additionally, within an affect CSV other binary columns are not encountering the same issue. 

I have confirmed that the headers for the columns in the affected CSVs match the sample file. I have played around with the changing the data type conversion. 

I can't think of anything that might be causing the issue and don't know how to diagnose deeper. Has anyone else encountered similar problems when using the folder connector?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

How can a CSV file have binary data? It should be pure ASCII.

You also want to make sure the file formats are actually the same. ASCII and ANSI are different, and some may have a CR/LF at the end and others a CR. 

When pulling in a CSV file you can change the type it is.

20200114 16_24_41-.png

I'd pull a few of those in manually and see what the import preview shows. It may help in debugging then combining the files from a folder.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

How can a CSV file have binary data? It should be pure ASCII.

You also want to make sure the file formats are actually the same. ASCII and ANSI are different, and some may have a CR/LF at the end and others a CR. 

When pulling in a CSV file you can change the type it is.

20200114 16_24_41-.png

I'd pull a few of those in manually and see what the import preview shows. It may help in debugging then combining the files from a folder.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Hi edhans,

Apologies for the confusion, I meant that the values in the problem columns are either a 0 or a 1 (I'll be sure to be more clear on this in the future).

Your recommendation for debugging worked. It turned out the sample file was in a weird format compared to the rest of the files and was causing the system to not recognize the values. 

Thanks!

Great! Glad you found the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors