Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stéphane
Frequent Visitor

Formula firewall error - Query referenced to replace parameter

Hi all,

It seems that Formula.Firewall is quite a common issue, I understand that this is linked to Query folding, but I can't find how to solve it properly (I managed to do it by modifying the Privacy settings of my file, but I'm not happy with it).

Here is my story:

1. I created an Excel file, displaying the result of several queries.

2. Two of these queries (say, Query1 and Query2) are based on other Excel files (say, Test 1 and Test2) in a unique folder. As the user is not familiar with Power Query, I want him to be able to modify easily these parameters if needed, and so created a tab in the Excel file for him to precise the storage path and files names:

Storage_pathS:\MAIN FOLDER\Extract files\
File1Test1.xlsx
File2Test2.xlsx

3. Using following method: I uploaded these cells as queries in my Power Query: Power Query Parameters - using Excel named cells (accessanalytic.com.au)in order to try ti use them as parameters
4. I now want to use this when connecting Query1 and Query2 to the corresponding Excel files:

Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents(Storage_path & File1), null, true)

And that's here that Firewall says that's he is not happy.
Any hint ? 🙂

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @Stéphane 

probably this is coming from your parameters Storage_path and File1. Does the first parameter end with an "\"? otherwise the complete path is not valid.

BR

Jimmy

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Stéphane
Frequent Visitor

@Jimmy801 thank you for your answer, I get the idea but can't find the good formula.

The closest that I find is something like : 
= Excel.Workbook(File.Contents(Expression.Constant(Storage_path & File1)), null, true), but I get an Expression.Error: "Caracters non conform in access path"

Hello @Stéphane 

probably this is coming from your parameters Storage_path and File1. Does the first parameter end with an "\"? otherwise the complete path is not valid.

BR

Jimmy

I finally found the issue, it works with a \\myfiles\folder1\ access path, but not with a X:\folder1\ one.

Thanks for the help!

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Stéphane 

yes, include the query where you are importing the selection of the user (maybe you to adapt it - like filtering or connecting) into the query where you are quering the files. If you have one unique query where you are doing both (use selection of user and querying the file itself), firewall should be no problem.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors