Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Formatting

Hi All, 

I am working on managing my data in power query and have run into an issue i can not solve. I am working on client info from Open Air and have created a new column called "Unique ID" using the concatenate function combining project name and number. From here i have right clicked on my "project number" column and "replaced values" so that the null items in my column will be replaced with "999999" to follow the 6 digit format. We originally thought all of the values contained 6 digits and have come to find some are 4 and 5 digit numbers. From there noticing formating issues with the formula working for 99% of the project names but the other 1% being dashes in the wrong places due to human error in Open Air. Wondering if there is a DAX formula to fix these two formatting issues?

1 REPLY 1
gpoggi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can do it in Power Query as well, let's say you have this table:

Table1.jpg

So just go to Add Column / Custom Column and use Text.PadStart function:

Text.PadStart(Text.From([Project Number]),6,"0")
&
[Project Name]

You will get an Unique ID like this:

Table2.jpg

So as you can see it doesn't matter if the project number has < 6 digits, it will complete it with "0" or any character you decide.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Gian Carlo Poggi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors