Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

buser1
Regular Visitor

Formatting time value from "hh:mm:ss" to "hh:mm AM/PM"

Hey,

Is it possible to change the time format value from "hh:mm:ss" to "hh:mm AM/PM" (24 hours) in Power Query?

Thanks, Ido

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You can just choose that format for that column once the table is loaded on the Column Tools tab.

mahoneypat_0-1606588421303.png

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

Hi @buser1 ,
Ok found a way to do this in Power Query, by selecting your column and selecting Format - Trim.  If you are on the Add Column tab it will place it in a new column.  If you are on the Transform Tab, it will change the column that you selected.  However it changes it to Text.  Then if that will work for you for whatever additional transformations, you need to do in Power Query great! If however you bring it down to Power BI and need to change it back into Time, you can select that format. Please see below:

time no sec.PNG

time no sec1.PNG

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You can just choose that format for that column once the table is loaded on the Column Tools tab.

mahoneypat_0-1606588421303.png

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @buser1 ,

In PQ try this. You may have to convert the column to text.

24time3.PNG

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Hi, thanks for the response.
I actually need to convert from this specific format:"hh:mm:ss" to "hh:mm AM/PM" (24 hours and without seconds)
Is there a way to do this in PQ or is the only right way to do it in the model?

pq.png

Hi @buser1 ,
Ok found a way to do this in Power Query, by selecting your column and selecting Format - Trim.  If you are on the Add Column tab it will place it in a new column.  If you are on the Transform Tab, it will change the column that you selected.  However it changes it to Text.  Then if that will work for you for whatever additional transformations, you need to do in Power Query great! If however you bring it down to Power BI and need to change it back into Time, you can select that format. Please see below:

time no sec.PNG

time no sec1.PNG

Nathaniel

Nice. You can also use:

FORMAT(table[Column1], "h:mm AM/PM")

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors