Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Formatting Data in a table

Hello I am trying to figure out how to get my table information to display like this:

one.PNG

But my table ends up looking like this:

4.PNG

p.s I asked a similar question previously, and was suggested to a matrix instead of a table and I ended up getting a matrix that looks like this: ( Which is still something I do not want)

two.PNG

Thanks for any help!

6 REPLIES 6
FredLEGUEN
Helper III
Helper III

I'm not sure to understand your question because one of the basic rule of data analysis is to avoid blank cells

If you have all your cells populated in Power Query that great.

But to present your data with a hierarchy (like you want), you just have to use the tool Pivot Table in Excel or Matrix in Power BI desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Background--> There are a bunch of projects currently being worked on, and there are different team members per project. One project may have 2 BA's. 1PM and 0 TL's. Another project may have 1BA,1PM, and 1TL and so forth. 

I can easily identify who is on each project, but the problem is when I attempt to display who is on a specific project I get a format that is undesirable.

For instance when I select the project "Bob's Buttons" I want to know who is on this project. 

However, If I use a  table my information comes back like this: 

4.PNG

What I want is this:

one.PNG  

Does that help?

I don't think you can do that in Power Query but with a Pivot Table it's a piece of cake.

1. Connect your source of data to Excel

2. Create a pivot table connect to your source of data

3. Drag & Drop the 3 fields in the "Rows" area

And that's it. Nothing more to do

Anonymous
Not applicable

There must be a way to do it in power Bi... either way what I ended up doing was putting each role in a seperate table and lined them up so it lokos as if it was one table. 

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

When using the matrix be sure to use the stepped layout and then use the drill down to next level of the heirarchy instead of just expanding down. It should give you the results you are looking for.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

That does not seem to resolve my issue. When I click the drill down button and click on any of the names, nothing happens. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors