Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finding multiple strings to create a conditional column

Hi guys,

I have the following dataset.

Author         Message
Chris            I like apples and pears in my cake
Ryan            I hate pears and peaches 

What I want to do, is create a new column where the fruits from [message] are categorized and grouped, but also group snacks together.

Currently I have this:
if
List.AnyTrue(List.Transform({"apple", "pear", "peach"}, (substring) => Text.Contains([Message], substring)))
then
"Fruit"
else if
List.AnyTrue(List.Transform({"cookies, "cake"}, (substring) => Text.Contains([Full Text], substring)))
then
"Snack" else "nothing"

The problem here is, that it only categorizes the first instance: 
Author         Message                                             Category
Chris            I like apples and pears in my cake      Fruit
Ryan            I hate pears and peaches                    Fruit

What I need is:
Chris            I like apples and pears in my cake      Fruit, Snack

OR:
Chris            I like apples and pears in my cake      Snack

This way, I can count how many posts there are for specific categories (per time window etc.)

Can anyone help me?

Kind regards,

Chris 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

let
    Lookup = #table({"Category", "Item"}, {{"Fruit", {"apple", "pear", "peach"}}, {"Snack", {"cookies", "cake"}}, {"Cola", {"Coka", "Pepsi"}}}),
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Vc0xDsIwDAXQq3x5zg0YO7EgxBplMI1FrJQ4irv0NpyFkxVVXdif9GKkqQz174cCXbFoFXDvizi4ZXTh4dCG94aZq1AKkR4bt0MXXuUkJ56L+GFu9rS8/dRklWEDd+muAU10LTKgjpdZvuDvpJR2", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Author = _t, Message = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = let lookup = Table.ToRecords(Lookup) in Table.AddColumn(Source, "Category", each List.Accumulate(lookup, {}, (s,c) => s & {if List.AnyTrue(List.Transform(c[Item], (substring) => Text.Contains([Message], substring))) then c[Category] else null})),
    #"Extracted Values" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Custom", {"Category", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, Text.From), ","), type text})
in
    #"Extracted Values"

Screenshot 2021-07-27 152704.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome, this works! Thank you very much.

Minor thing to add: How do I set it up so that it won't be Fruit, Snack on the same row, but create an extra (duplicate) row for every individual category?
Like this:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

let
    Lookup = #table({"Category", "Item"}, {{"Fruit", {"apple", "pear", "peach"}}, {"Snack", {"cookies", "cake"}}, {"Cola", {"Coka", "Pepsi"}}}),
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Vc0xDsIwDAXQq3x5zg0YO7EgxBplMI1FrJQ4irv0NpyFkxVVXdif9GKkqQz174cCXbFoFXDvizi4ZXTh4dCG94aZq1AKkR4bt0MXXuUkJ56L+GFu9rS8/dRklWEDd+muAU10LTKgjpdZvuDvpJR2", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Author = _t, Message = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = let lookup = Table.ToRecords(Lookup) in Table.AddColumn(Source, "Category", each List.Accumulate(lookup, {}, (s,c) => s & {if List.AnyTrue(List.Transform(c[Item], (substring) => Text.Contains([Message], substring))) then c[Category] else null})),
    #"Extracted Values" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Custom", {"Category", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, Text.From), ","), type text})
in
    #"Extracted Values"

Screenshot 2021-07-27 152704.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Hi,

Saw you had an amazing reply for a similar problem, If you have the time I would like to ask you a question please.

Description                                                                     New Column

Almonds SMALL and MEDIUM                                      Small, Medium

Almonds SMALL MEDIUM CHIPPED BROKEN LARGE    Small, Medium, Chipped, Broken, Large

That is basically it, how do I do that and have the New Column arrange the output alphabetically?

Thank you so much!

Best

Alvaro

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome, this works! Thank you very much.

Minor thing to add: How do I set it up so that it won't be Fruit, Snack on the same row, but create an extra (duplicate) row for every individual category?
Like this:

Jakinta
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Here is one of many ways to do it.

= Table.AddColumn( PriorStepName, "Category", each let f=List.AnyTrue(List.Transform({"apple", "pear", "peach"}, (substring) => Text.Contains([Message], substring))), s=List.AnyTrue(List.Transform({"cookies", "cake"}, (substring) => Text.Contains([Message], substring))) in if f and s then "Fruit, Snack"  else if f>s then "Fruit" else if f<s then "Snack" else "")
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply!

This will work, but it is hard coded. The fruit and snacks categories were just examples to illustrate the problem. In reality I have 10+ categories I want to fit under one column, which means that I will have to put in every possible scenario (If s and f and x and y and z then "Fruit, "Snack", "Burger", "Pizza", "Pancake") manually. Also, more stuff might be added to the categories later.

Is there a less labour intensive way to do this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors