Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerquest1234
Helper III
Helper III

Find the most recent of three dates in a row for three columns with nulls

I'm hoping to find a way to make a column with the most recent of three dates in a row for three other columns with nulls

Lets say I have a table with dogs and dates they learned three tricks. Note that some dogs only learn one, two or zero tricks instead of all three tricks.

powerquest1234_5-1631810544769.png

I'm hoping to add a column that shows the date of the most recent trick the dog learned (example result below):

powerquest1234_1-1631808369569.png

I have explored a couple of potential issues that don't quite work for my situation, but I'm including them here in case they work for someone else.:

Pivoting and Group By:

1) Un-pivot the three trick columns (Sit, Speak, Roll Over), resulting in the below table:

M code:  #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Previous Step", {"Dog Name"}, "Attribute", "Value"),

powerquest1234_2-1631809092834.png

2) Group By Dog name to find the most recent date associated with each dog. 

M code for this: #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Unpivoted Columns", {"Dog Name"}, {{"Most Recent Trick", each List.Max([Value]), type datetime}})

powerquest1234_3-1631809264765.png

The problem: Buster (who never learned any tricks and has nulls in all three date columns) disappears from the table. I would like to keep Buster on the table with a null or "No tricks learned" in the Most Recent Trick column.

If Else

I'm finding that Power Query gives me errors if I compare nulls. 

powerquest1234_4-1631810026536.png

One option would be to replace the nulls with a different value (such as #date(1901, 1, 1) so they could be compared but I'm nervous about altering the data in this manner.

This is my M code:

#"Added Conditional Column" =

Table.AddColumn(#"Previous Step",
"Most Recent Trick",
each if
[Sit] >= [Speak]
and [Sit] >= [#"Roll Over"]
then [Sit]
else if
[Speak] >= [#"Roll Over"]
and [Speak] >= [Sit]
then [Speak]
else if
[#"Roll Over"] >= [Speak]
and [#"Roll Over"] >= [Sit]
then [#"Roll Over"]

else null)

I have also tried using Number.From() to compare the trick dates as numbers instead of dates:

#"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns",
"Most Recent Trick",
each if
Number.From([Sit]) >= Number.From([Speak])
and Number.From([Sit]) >= Number.From([#"Roll Over"])
then [Sit]
else if
Number.From([Speak]) >= Number.From([#"Roll Over"])
and Number.From([Speak]) >= Number.From([Sit])
then [Speak]
else if
Number.From([#"Roll Over"]) >= Number.From([Speak])
and Number.From([#"Roll Over"]) >= Number.From([Sit])
then [#"Roll Over"]

else null)

Does anyone have a different solution in mind that could work for Power Query? My ideal solution would look something like this:

powerquest1234_1-1631808369569.png

- Would result in a new column that gives me the most recent date of the three tricks the dog learned for each row

- Keep all of the dogs on the table (including the dog with null values in the other three columns)

- Would not give me errors for comparing nulls

- Would not require me to alter the data (ie by replacing the nulls with a 1/1/1901 or other fake date)

This is a table you can copy and paste for dummy data if you would like:

Dog NameSitSpeakRoll Over
Bruno1/2/20152/14/20154/5/2015
Jim5/4/2021  
Harold3/1/20153/1/2015 
Ollie  8/1/2015
Minnie 9/29/2015 
Lulu 12/13/201512/1/2021
Buster   
Fido 7/6/2015 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Try a custom column

List.Max({[Sit],[Speak], [Roll Over]})

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Try a custom column

List.Max({[Sit],[Speak], [Roll Over]})

This worked perfectly! I used the UI to create a custome column and copied and pasted your code into the box. 

Before I had tried a solution with List.Max({...}) but I was typing it directly into Advanced Editor and I think I didn't get the code right. I am still very new to PQ and M code so it was probably an error on my part before.

If anyone else in a similar situation as me (new to M, needs a solution like mine, tried to code with List.Max in the Advanced Editor before and got errors), I encourage you to use the Custom Column button on the UI and just copy and paste the List.Max code in there. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors