Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

severm
Frequent Visitor

Find dates in text

Dear all,

I kindly request the help of this community. I am a beginner and I am still getting acustom with Language M and DAX.

In the file I have I need to extract the maximum dates from a text column.

The dates can be anywhere within the text and they have different ways they were written:

qbcsde45cd 01.06.2022 - 31.05.2023 csfmeoj3dde
ljfofbl;s 5 dada 01.06.2022 -31.05.2023lepojn dbfuif7 9089n fe
lopjfeif4f 03-04.05.2022 pinsdiubf4frf
pjnwd lasa3asde 17/18/19 kmfiofjnrigb56
casfsfe34fgthtr 28*02*2023 sdgdht676s
plnu67jniu 31.12.24 xniubuy67bkl;
mnjhvt567ybnl 31/12/2022 amsuaisb67890
(ant txt) 30/6/22 (any text)

I was thinking to an algorithm like following, but I do not manage it to writte it:

• Replace all punctation with "/" and make a list from text
  • Loop through the list or generate a secondary list with the dates
    • In set of 8 characters
    • In set of 10 characters

check for each step if the step is a date with date from text

• Get the max date

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Use this in a custom column

= List.Max(List.Transform(List.Transform(Text.Split(Text.Replace(Text.Replace(Text.Replace(Text.Replace([Data],".","/"),".","/"),"*","/"),"-"," ")," "),(x)=>Text.Select(x,{"0".."9","/"})),(y)=>if Text.Contains(y,"/") then try Date.From(y) otherwise null else null))

Full code for testing

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("hY/BbsMgEER/ZZVTGzUxBhts5VOsHMCwCQRjN+A2/vsSN1XV9tDjzL4Z7XTd5lX1UZuq7jWQck/4nhJKYQcsi/ouGPQRBzM6prXZHF+6jXc4ovKHCDVoqeWPIG2/ct5MowugFc4WBbSkaQPgo2KcHBqLFQJhO1I9MhQmG6K2s8qXK67o5MK7Bi+jZDJ/CqUoyqYoW7gMaEd04WpPquYr28uIEQ2r8JTO6Qq02RK6XUdEfdLnxAWPn60+zFy4YOf70pLuaQW3rNS8cKEu/rBSQ3Dnt1RzsajgM1iUtFjflEOcpY2Ki6YlK/okQ4J0S8/ASMGLzGRngWSy9Wvyf4u/q9q/TccP", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Data = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each List.Max(List.Transform(List.Transform(Text.Split(Text.Replace(Text.Replace(Text.Replace(Text.Replace([Data],".","/"),".","/"),"*","/"),"-"," ")," "),(x)=>Text.Select(x,{"0".."9","/"})),(y)=>if Text.Contains(y,"/") then try Date.From(y) otherwise null else null)))
in
    #"Added Custom"

1.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @severm ,

Here a potential solution. You can merge some of the steps. But it might help you anyway or at least gets you closer to a soluition:

Before:

tomfox_0-1653147307685.png

After:

tomfox_1-1653147325427.png

Here the code in Power Query M that you can paste into the advanced editor (if you do not know, how to exactly do this, please check out this quick walkthrough)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ZY3BDYAwDANXiXhWtHFcKGUWxBY8GJ+CQJTy9PkSL0u37ZvAAlIgSPESSxjPEKV03dpfTq28RiUIosdwF6xPxSZFVps/kNmBrp05142BQwPVqL+/EZr0YesB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",".","/",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value","txt","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
    #"Replaced Value2" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value1","*","/",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
    #"Replaced Value3" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value2"," ","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Column1"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Replaced Value3", "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("-", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Split Column by Delimiter", "Custom", each if [Column1.2] <> null then [Column1.2] else [Column1.1]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Custom", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Let me know if this helps or if you get stuck somewhere 🙂

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Hey Tom,

I very much appreciate your answer. As always, the real life is more complex :). txt in my description are full senteces or abreviation, shorter or longer, sometimes txt includes also numbers. 

qbcsde45cd 01.06.2022 - 31.05.2023 csfmeoj3dde
ljfofbl;s 5 dada 01.06.2022 -31.05.2023lepojn dbfuif7 9089n fe
lopjfeif4f 03-04.05.2022 pinsdiubf4frf
pjnwd lasa3asde 17/18/19 kmfiofjnrigb56
casfsfe34fgthtr 28*02*2023 sdgdht676s
plnu67jniu 31.12.24 xniubuy67bkl;
mnjhvt567ybnl 31/12/2022 amsuaisb67890
(ant txt) 30/6/22 (any text)

This why I proposed some steps in my post. If you could help put me on a new direction I would be grateful.
Thank you!

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

In a custom column, pur following formula (here [Data] is column name) and select the column and Transform menu - Data type - Date

= List.Last(Text.Split(Text.Select(Text.Replace(Text.Replace([Data],".","/"),"*","/"),{"0".."9","-","/"}),"-"))

For in place replacement of the column, insert following step where Source should be replaced with your previous step and don't forget to change column type to date

= Table.ReplaceValue(Source,each [Data], each List.Last(Text.Split(Text.Select(Text.Replace(Text.Replace([Data],".","/"),"*","/"),{"0".."9","-","/"}),"-")),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Data"})

Thank you @Vijay_A_Verma 

You did get me a step closer to the objectif. But still I need some steps.  And I really appreciate your solution.

If in the txt I would not have also numbers your I would have been much closer. But as people inputing data are not the same, their inputs are really different.

In case you could have another tip, I would be grateful.

Thank you!

Use this in a custom column

= List.Max(List.Transform(List.Transform(Text.Split(Text.Replace(Text.Replace(Text.Replace(Text.Replace([Data],".","/"),".","/"),"*","/"),"-"," ")," "),(x)=>Text.Select(x,{"0".."9","/"})),(y)=>if Text.Contains(y,"/") then try Date.From(y) otherwise null else null))

Full code for testing

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("hY/BbsMgEER/ZZVTGzUxBhts5VOsHMCwCQRjN+A2/vsSN1XV9tDjzL4Z7XTd5lX1UZuq7jWQck/4nhJKYQcsi/ouGPQRBzM6prXZHF+6jXc4ovKHCDVoqeWPIG2/ct5MowugFc4WBbSkaQPgo2KcHBqLFQJhO1I9MhQmG6K2s8qXK67o5MK7Bi+jZDJ/CqUoyqYoW7gMaEd04WpPquYr28uIEQ2r8JTO6Qq02RK6XUdEfdLnxAWPn60+zFy4YOf70pLuaQW3rNS8cKEu/rBSQ3Dnt1RzsajgM1iUtFjflEOcpY2Ki6YlK/okQ4J0S8/ASMGLzGRngWSy9Wvyf4u/q9q/TccP", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Data = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each List.Max(List.Transform(List.Transform(Text.Split(Text.Replace(Text.Replace(Text.Replace(Text.Replace([Data],".","/"),".","/"),"*","/"),"-"," ")," "),(x)=>Text.Select(x,{"0".."9","/"})),(y)=>if Text.Contains(y,"/") then try Date.From(y) otherwise null else null)))
in
    #"Added Custom"

1.png

@Vijay_A_Verma  Thank you very much for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors