Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cfraser
Frequent Visitor

Find a string, add a space in the middle

Hey everyone,

My first time on the forum so please excuse me if I've missed a solution to this somewhere.

I am busy cleaning address data collected from e-commerce transactions. The address data is collected as free text and so is prone to typos. 

In particular, people often fail to add a space between the number of their house and the name of their road (e.g. 23Wiltshire Place).

I'm trying to find any string where a number is subsequently followed by any letter and add a space, but for all the functions I have worked with so far, I don't have the knowledge on how I could reasonably accomplish this. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Thanks,

Callum

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@cfraser 

Try this Custom Column

Please see attached file as well

It works with your sample data 🙂

=let mylist=Text.ToList([Data]),
mycount=List.Count(mylist),
num={"0".."9"},
alpha={"A".."Z","a".."z"}
in
Text.Combine(List.Generate(()=>[a=0,b=mylist{a}],
each [a]< mycount,each [a=[a]+1,b= if
List.Contains(num,mylist{a})
and
List.Contains(alpha,mylist{a+1}) then mylist{a} & " " else mylist{a}],each [b] ))

Addspace.png

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

Hi @cfraser,

another solution (2 lines of code) which also works with your sample. It splits the column by the last transition from digit to char and then combine these 2 new columns again together.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("LYpLDgIhDECv0rB2kkFjjMsKVapMUSjqhHD/a0jU5fu0Zuy0n3azVZRLqFcWj5HhxBKQ34O4aGanoIwyqmNdTd80c7AeKa4CPvOTYDxhSeL/LWDW8krJQ074k+eICkcIVG6kAVyqWWFr50clkgL3nBYS9PSdwfT+AQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Data = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Data", type text}}),
    SplitColumn = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Data", Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition({"0".."9"}, {"A".."Z"}), 2),
    CombineColumn = Table.CombineColumns(SplitColumn, {"Data.1", "Data.2"}, Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None), "Data")in
    CombineColumn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
cfraser
Frequent Visitor

These are both amazing solutions. I'll have to spend a bit of time digesting exactly how they work, but thank you VERY much indeed! @Zubair_Muhammad  and @Nolock  you are the best!

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @cfraser ,

Do you want to achieve your desired output with dax or power query?

With Dax, you could have a try with format function.

With Power query, you could create a custom column in query editor.

If you still need help, please share your data sample so that we could help further on it.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-piga-msft I was hoping to achieve it using Power Query, but I simply don't know what functions to use to achieve it. 

I have some additional examples below of actual data.

DataDesired output
1-5-301TANGHUJINDALI BINHAIXINDISTRICT TIANJINCITY1-5-301 TANGHUJINDALI BINHAIXINDISTRICT TIANJINCITY
71DAELYN DRIVE RICHMOND71 DAELYN DRIVE RICHMOND
71HARTSWOOD ROAD71 HARTSWOOD ROAD
FLAT 9 HESKETH COURT 210QUEENS PROMENADEFLAT 9 HESKETH COURT 210 QUEENS PROMENADE

Thanks,

Callum

@cfraser 

Try this Custom Column

Please see attached file as well

It works with your sample data 🙂

=let mylist=Text.ToList([Data]),
mycount=List.Count(mylist),
num={"0".."9"},
alpha={"A".."Z","a".."z"}
in
Text.Combine(List.Generate(()=>[a=0,b=mylist{a}],
each [a]< mycount,each [a=[a]+1,b= if
List.Contains(num,mylist{a})
and
List.Contains(alpha,mylist{a+1}) then mylist{a} & " " else mylist{a}],each [b] ))

Addspace.png

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Hi @cfraser,

another solution (2 lines of code) which also works with your sample. It splits the column by the last transition from digit to char and then combine these 2 new columns again together.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("LYpLDgIhDECv0rB2kkFjjMsKVapMUSjqhHD/a0jU5fu0Zuy0n3azVZRLqFcWj5HhxBKQ34O4aGanoIwyqmNdTd80c7AeKa4CPvOTYDxhSeL/LWDW8krJQ074k+eICkcIVG6kAVyqWWFr50clkgL3nBYS9PSdwfT+AQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Data = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Data", type text}}),
    SplitColumn = Table.SplitColumn(#"Changed Type", "Data", Splitter.SplitTextByCharacterTransition({"0".."9"}, {"A".."Z"}), 2),
    CombineColumn = Table.CombineColumns(SplitColumn, {"Data.1", "Data.2"}, Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None), "Data")in
    CombineColumn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors