Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Greg_Esres
Helper I
Helper I

Filtering on Effective User Name

We have a business need to show different users different data. SSAS should be able to do this, but I can't test this right now because the SSAS server isn't attached to a domain and so we can't get the Connector set up. We're working on that.

My question is: since the data these reports show is cached, wouldn't it require a refresh before the data displayed was appropriate for the user?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Greg_Esres

By utilizing the SSAS connector the data isn't cached. The tabular model connector is a live connection in which Dax is passed back to the SSAS model to extract the information. The only things cached I believe is the dashboard tile info, and I believe that updates roughly every 10 minutes.

The reports will show the data that is in the model, so whatever frequency you have set to refresh the model, that's how often the data should be refreshed in your Power BI reports.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Greg_Esres

By utilizing the SSAS connector the data isn't cached. The tabular model connector is a live connection in which Dax is passed back to the SSAS model to extract the information. The only things cached I believe is the dashboard tile info, and I believe that updates roughly every 10 minutes.

The reports will show the data that is in the model, so whatever frequency you have set to refresh the model, that's how often the data should be refreshed in your Power BI reports.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Ok, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that the preview tile may represent slightly old data (10 minutes), but when you click on it, current data will be retrieved from SSAS, filtered by any effective user name mechanism that I provide? And that this data itself might be old, depending on how often SSAS refreshes itself from the data source?

Thanks

@Greg_Esres

In Essence, yes - there is alot to this, so I'll just point you to the in depth AS connector article which should answer all your questions and fill in any gaps for you.

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/546004-power-bi-analysis-services-connector-in-de...

Thank you...I have actually read the Connector In Depth article, but some things don't make sense until you struggle with them in the real world for a bit. I'm sure I will need to read the article a few more times.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors