Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abehrmann
Helper II
Helper II

Filtering a view but it still loads the entire table

I am connecting to an azure sql db and i am filtering a view down to just the relavant data in powerquery. 

Let just say i filtered it to 5 row. 

when i go to apply changes the report still shows loading the 30k rows in the view. 

Which takes quite a while sometimes an hour 

is there a reason for this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @abehrmann,

I assume that your query can't be folded to the Azure SQL DB. In such case PowerQuery downloads all data and then does all the transformations. It depends on what you do with your data in your ETL and if it is supported by the data source.

More about that for example on https://exceleratorbi.com.au/how-query-folding-works/ or just search for "Power BI Query Folding" on the internet.

View solution in original post

Geradav
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @abehrmann,

When querying an Azure SQL Database, have you tried implementing a SQL statement at the connection level to apply your filter before it goes into Power Query?

This could greatly improve the performance

Annotation 2019-08-02 222848.jpg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Geradav
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @abehrmann,

When querying an Azure SQL Database, have you tried implementing a SQL statement at the connection level to apply your filter before it goes into Power Query?

This could greatly improve the performance

Annotation 2019-08-02 222848.jpg

This is what i have started to do to reduce the likeihood that a query will not fold. 

Thanks

Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @abehrmann,

I assume that your query can't be folded to the Azure SQL DB. In such case PowerQuery downloads all data and then does all the transformations. It depends on what you do with your data in your ETL and if it is supported by the data source.

More about that for example on https://exceleratorbi.com.au/how-query-folding-works/ or just search for "Power BI Query Folding" on the internet.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors