Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

freelensia
Advocate II
Advocate II

Filter multiple columns by partially matching values from a list in M Language

Hi,

In M Language I know that I can filter multiple values from multiple columns like this:

FilterColsByKeywords = Table.SelectRows(GetWordsTbl, each Text.Contains([English], "system") or Text.Contains([Vietnamese], "hệ thống") or Text.Contains([Japanese], "システム"))

Now imagine  the keywords are not hard-coded, but come from a list like this:

system
hệ thống
システム
another keyword 1
another keywords 2

How can I keep only the rows whereby at least one column among [English], [Vietnamese] [Japanese] match at least one of those keywords?

Any ideas, @ImkeF @v-juanli-msft @Nolock @Mariusz  ?

Thanks and I hope everybody is safe during coronavirus outbreak

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @freelensia ,

I have created a sample for your reference. Please check the following steps as below.

1. create a custom column as below.

List.Contains(ValuesTable[Results],[Code 1]) and List.Contains(ValuesTable[Results],[Code 2]) and List.Contains(ValuesTable[Results],[Code 3]) and List.Contains(ValuesTable[Results],[Code 4])

2. Filter the table based on the custom column.

Full code for your reference.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSjRU0lECoiQjCK0UqxON4CCEwOpSTIBEsjGMwC8BE0YypMrIDC5QaWSKpBIhABKLBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Code 1" = _t, #"Code 2" = _t, #"Code 3" = _t, #"Code 4" = _t, #"Code 5" = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each List.Contains(ValuesTable[Results],[Code 1]) and List.Contains(ValuesTable[Results],[Code 2]) and List.Contains(ValuesTable[Results],[Code 3]) and List.Contains(ValuesTable[Results],[Code 4])),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ([Custom] = true))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Btw, please find the pbix as attached.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @v-frfei-msft thanks for the quick support.

I tried your solution but I think it is not getting me the desired results.

each List.Contains(ValuesTable[Results],[Code 1])

In this code the system checks in ValuesTable[Results] (a list) whether [Code 1] (a value) is found, yes?

I want the reverse.

I want to check in [Code 1] whether any of the values in ValuesTable[Results] are found.

The difference is not shown in your file because your values are simply a1, b2, c3 for both ValuesTable[Results] and [Code 1].

If you make [Code 1] as:

a1, b2, c3, d4
a1, d4
c3
b2, c3, d4

Then it will not work as I desire.

Could you check once more?
Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors