Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JCLink8888
Helper I
Helper I

Filled Maps- USA zips beginning with 0 Not Mapping in USA

I am trying to create a filled map with zip codes in Massachusettes, which all begin with a 0.

The filled map visual is mapping these zips in Australia and Asia.

Even when I create a hierarchy, I either get the entirety of the US filled, or the areas of Australia/Asia.

How can I get my map of US zips that begin with 0?

I saw this in another forum topic, but the conversation went from this issue to mapping country codes, which is NOT the issue here.

Please advise,

JCC

4 REPLIES 4
tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Have you set your column of zip codes to "postal codes" on the Modeling ribbon, under the Properties tab using the Data Category selector?  If not, you should do so as they will then display correctly.

SueT
Regular Visitor

I think this solution only works if the 0 (zero) has not already been dropped during import. BI automatically drops leading zeros on Zip codes.

Hey TJD, 

Yes, I highlight the column, and select "Postal Code" under Modeling, but they are still not mapping properly.

I did notice that the 0s themselves are not importing from Excel, so the data looks like 4-digit numbers.

I've tried having the zips as text, and as number formats to see if BI would import them with the leading 0, but it isn't.

I am still at a loss.

Thanks,

JCC

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

JCC -

I just tried to do this: I replaced all the leading zeros in the original Excel sheet with ! and forced it to save it as text.  It then imports to PBI as text.  I then did a replace ! with 0, leaving the column as text.  After it imports into PBI, I then converted the text field zip to postal codes and it kept the leading zeros.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors