Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JP8991
Advocate II
Advocate II

Fill Between Date Points

Hello, 

The below table is filtered on one CentreCode (for ease of explanation) and shows some data.

1.png

The below table illustrates what I am after, ideally I would do a transformation on Supply Licensed Places to do away with the need for an extra Cumulative column. The blue highlights are the lines taken from the table above. As you will notice the missing dates between each of the months have now been filled in.

2.png

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi JP8991, 

You could refer to my sample to see whether it work or not. Use Query 1 , Query2, Merge 1 and Query3.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Inventing data is hard. If you had your data pivoted and actually had all of the dates you could use Fill Down. @ImkeF ?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi

please paste this code into the advanced editor and follow the steps:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjDUByJDMyUdJUNjY3OlWJ1oJUMjuJiJAVjEwBIsYg5SZQAVMgYLWYCETCyUYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1),
    AddNextDate = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "NextDate", each #"Added Index"{[Index]+1}[Date], type date),
    #"AddMonth#" = Table.AddColumn(AddNextDate, "Months#", each Number.Round ( Number.From ( [NextDate] - [Date]) / 30 ) ),
    AddMonths = Table.AddColumn(#"AddMonth#", "Months", each {0..[#"Months#"]-1}),
    #"Replaced Errors" = Table.ReplaceErrorValues(AddMonths, {{"Months", null}}),
    #"Expanded Months" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Replaced Errors", "Months"),
    newDate = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Months", "newDate", each try Date.AddMonths([Date], [Months]) otherwise [Date]),
    newValue = Table.AddColumn(newDate, "ValueNew", each if [newDate] = [Date] then [Value] else 0),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(newValue,{"newDate", "Value", "Date", "ValueNew"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

The formula to fetch the value from the next row is simple, but not the fastest. So if you run into performance problems, you should use this approach instead: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2018/07/12/fast-and-easy-way-to-reference-previous-or-next-rows-in-po... 

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

@ImkeF 

Thank you so much for this, excellent code.

Just a few questions/tweaks.

• Would it be possible to have the newDate column go down to the current month i.e. 01/11/2019?
  • Would it be possible to have the Value column cumulative so that when the 40, 100 and 148 appear the repeated values are 1377, 1477 and 1625 respectively?
  • In my example I have filtered on one centre code, as you have used an index column how would I replicate this outcome when the rest of the data set is used as I am guessing the index would need to start counting from zero for each Centre Code?

1.png

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi JP8991, 

You could refer to my sample to see whether it work or not. Use Query 1 , Query2, Merge 1 and Query3.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@dax 

Awesome, I am pretty sure this will do the job, I am just implementing it into my query but I am pretty sure it will work.

Thanks so much for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors