Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Petanek333
Helper III
Helper III

Faster scraping data from eshop

Hi, 

I created a query to get data from czech eshop Alza.cz (like a czech version of Amazon). This is the way I did it:

1) I have a table with various columns, two of them being Product name and a direct link to that product.

2) I created (via Get data from web) a query to extract price with VAT (basicaly the only information I need) of a product. I used a feature Add Table Using examples to get price with VAT of this product: Product . Then using Advanced Editor I created a function from this query, pretty standard so far:

(example_source_link)=>
let
    Source = Web.BrowserContents(example_source_link),
    #"Extracted Table From Html" = Html.Table(Source, {{"Column1", ".bigPrice"}})
in
    #"Extracted Table From Html"

3) Then, using Add Column > Invoke Custom Function I added a column with this function having the column with the link to that product as an argument. Again, this is still pretty standard. 

Problems: 

1) The ehop uses several elements to display the price in various products. ".bigprice" mentioned above is only one of them (this is the element of price with discount), I found 6 different elements so far. So i created 6 columns with Invoke function and each line has to load the link 6 times if I am not mistaken about how it works.

alza.PNG

After that I use DAX to select the ideal column containing a price to display it, but this part is not a subject of my question.

2) I have about 600 products (=600 links) and I am planning to add other eshops as well. Even with 200 products the query takes about 20 minutes to load.

Is there any other way or a best practice to get the prices from products? I cannot make one page of all the products as a view in this eshop, so I have to use direct links to those products. But I would like to know how to make it faster even using completely different way to get those elements (prices with VAT) to my Power BI Desktop 🙂

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There is no faster way in Power BI. Ask the owners of the web shop if they offer an API.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors